The TH (turbo-hydramatic) 700R4 was developed for use after 1982 in GMC and Chevrolet cars and trucks.

tranny suddenly quit shifting.

I pulled into a parking spot. When I went to back out, the suburban would not shift into reverse. I shifted into drive and that didn't work either. I shifted back into park, and there was a noise like gear teeth slightly connnecting out of synch.

I shifted back into reverse, and shut the motor off...

what would be the most likely problem??

Thanks much....

What do you mean by not shifting into reverse? Is the linkage moving it into reverse but veh dose not move? When it comes to a 700r4 and even the fully electronic 4L600-E , it works the same, another words when you shift into rev or forward at a dead stop from park it is completely controlled by the manual valve and is completely hydraulic. Now basically reverse and third gear are basically the same elements is the trans making the same gear. Reverse and third are 1 to1 . direct drive. So usually if you have no manual reverse that is usually the sun shell is broken. But then it will move in forward gears until it shifts to 3 rd then nothing.

If it wouldn't move forward or reverse, that would lead me to believe the convertor spline stripped. In 82 they had a 28 spline converter shaft aand the broke all the time. that is why they went to the 31 spline.

reuben will be eternally grateful.