Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Upgraded HD to SSD and added RAM system is still slow.

Hello all,

My MBP is early 2011 and I just upgrade HDD to SDD and 8GB of RAM. My system it still running slow.

It's the replacement drive. It is SSD Apacer AST680S 240GB. I also just replace RAM to 8GB.

After upgrading to SSD, it a bit faster than the original HDD but it still slow.

Can you give us some more details here. If you followed my instructions did you encounter any errors? If not then you likely need to do some house cleaning as well as defrag the HD.

Download this app: Disk Doctor it will cleanup the old cache & log files that build up over time. You'll also want to clean off at least 1/4 of the drive so the OS has some space. Make a good backup as well before going to the next step.

OK, once you've freed up space on your HD (the more space the better if you can). Get a good defrag tool like this one: Drive Genius.

That should do it. Otherwise you could have a hardware issue like a bad SATA cable or the HD its self may need replacing.

Sadly a video won't help you here. You've given me enough clues to understand what your problem is!

A common problem in this series is the HD SATA cable tends to breakdown. When you put in a faster drive like a SSD it tends to show up. Follow this IFIXIT guide: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 Hard Drive Cable Replacement and you'll need this part: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable

You should also make sure your systems firmware is up to date. Follow this Apple T/N: About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers make sure your is at this level or newer.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable Image

Product

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable

$44.99

Hello Dan, is there a reason you recommend the 2012 part rather than https://australia.ifixit.com/collections... ? Thanks !

Yes! Its the better version of the cable. Here's the Australia stores part: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable - Apple P/N 923-0104

Thank you, Dan. I saw your post after I already ordered the 2011 part. I will remember to get the 2012 version when it konks out.

Unfortunately, one of the screws holding the cable is stripped. So I need to find a way to remove the screw, and also to find a replacement. The seller said the MBP has only ever been opened up by Genius Bar.

G'day Dan, I ended up taking my MBP to a local repairer who removed and replaced the stripped screw free of charge. I was then able to replace the cable.

The 2011 cable allowed me to work with a HDD which has both macOS and Linux Mint installed. It worked until a few days ago. I initially started getting hung in macOS, then rebooting gives me failure messages in "alloc magic", and progressed to the folder with a question mark.

When booting using a HDD or SSD attached to a dock via USB, MBP boots up and runs. So I concluded that the cable is playing up again.

I am about to make a warranty claim, and request the 2012 cable instead, thank you.

I would strongly recommend you reformat the drive fully and re-install the OS as once you have a corruption on the drive a new cable won't help you. I also recommend you place some electricians tape on the uppercase when the cable crosses over to help protect the cable from the rough aluminum surface.

LY Vuthy will be eternally grateful.