Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Upgraded HD to SSD and added RAM system is still slow.

Hello all,

My MBP is early 2011 and I just upgrade HDD to SDD and 8GB of RAM. My system it still running slow.

It's the replacement drive. It is SSD Apacer AST680S 240GB. I also just replace RAM to 8GB.

After upgrading to SSD, it a bit faster than the original HDD but it still slow.

Can you give us some more details here. If you followed my instructions did you encounter any errors? If not then you likely need to do some house cleaning as well as defrag the HD.

Download this app: Disk Doctor it will cleanup the old cache & log files that build up over time. You'll also want to clean off at least 1/4 of the drive so the OS has some space. Make a good backup as well before going to the next step.

OK, once you've freed up space on your HD (the more space the better if you can). Get a good defrag tool like this one: Drive Genius.

That should do it. Otherwise you could have a hardware issue like a bad SATA cable or the HD its self may need replacing.

Sadly a video won't help you here. You've given me enough clues to understand what your problem is!

A common problem in this series is the HD SATA cable tends to breakdown. When you put in a faster drive like a SSD it tends to show up. Follow this IFIXIT guide: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 Hard Drive Cable Replacement and you'll need this part: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable

You should also make sure your systems firmware is up to date. Follow this Apple T/N: About EFI and SMC firmware updates for Intel-based Mac computers make sure your is at this level or newer.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody (Mid 2012) Hard Drive Cable Image

LY Vuthy will be eternally grateful.