Model A1225 / Mid 2007 and Early 2008 / 2.4, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

How do I Format new Hard Drive?

iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 24-inch (early 2008)

This is my first try with an iMac, helping a friend replace the hard drive... I usually do PC stuff..

I followed the instructions and replaced the Hard Drive in the iMac with a Western Digital 1 TB Desktop SATA drive. It went in flawlessly. Now I need to FORMAT the new HD. Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this? I have tried and tried to find the screen pull down to get to the disk utilities...without success. I put in the Mac OS X install Disc 1 and held down the C key... which brings me to a screen with the apple logo and a rotating circle below, nothing else... How do I get to the disk utilities?

Thanks for your help..

Doc in California

You have to boot up from the original system installation disk for that specific machine if using a gray disk. You can also use a retail 10.6.3 retail disk. You can also set it up in Target Mode if you have another Mac. Tell us what you have.

Here's the hard drive installation guide: iMac Intel 24" EMC 2134 and 2211 Hard Drive Replacement

I tried to boot up from the original system disk. I am using (2008) OS 10.5.4

I also have a OS 10.6.4 disk and Snow Leopard on the way to us from Apple..

The instructions on the disk say "hold down the C as the computer starts" which I tried, got only a spinning O and apple trademark above.

How do I get the HD Formatted? Where is the disk utilities folder? I think I can format it if I can find this folder...

Either your optical drive is bad, the disk is damaged or it's the wrong disk for your machine. I'd wait on the Snow Leopard disk.

I also replaced the button battery 2032 while it was open, would this change anything?

I have yet to see a failed battery on this model. You would usually know if the printer is dropping off line.

OK, I understand, but would it make any difference if I changed it to a new 2032 battery? I cannot see anyplace where it says anything about the battery... The printer was fine... course its not my computer.

Bill Hawkins will be eternally grateful.