How can I clean out my Lightning connector?

My iPhone 6 seems to have something stuck inside the Lighning connector. As a consequence, I can't get the charging cable in, so can't charge the phone. Is there a recommended way (or tool) for cleaning it out?

Thanks in advance

This is probably bad practice but I clean lightning dock charger port holes with tweezers or a equivalent tool and make sure to not touch or bend the charging port pins inside the port.

Bamboo toothpick works quite well in this situation. It's not metal so it is less likely to short out or bend the pins.

Many thanks Tom, it worked! I actually used a plastic toothpick from a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, but it worked great. Pulled out a piece of pencil-sharpening and a small piece of sellotape! No idea how they got in there! But the lightning connector now clicks into place again and the phone is charging as we speak.

Many thanks!

Phil

Phil Dixon will be eternally grateful.