Possible punctured Battery, sweet smell

I was removing the battery out of an iPhone 5S. Both pull tabs broke so I was left with the option of prying out the battery. Upon prying and removing the battery It started to smell like a sweet chemical smell. I noticed that the battery was nicked in two places, it wasn't very deep, it looks just like the black plastic was ripped. Its now giving off a smell. I put it back and the battery isn't getting very hot and it seems to work fine and not leaking any chemicals. I'm wondering what the smell is and if its save to use?

It is not safe to use. It's punctured. Replace it. Here's how:

iPhone 5s Battery Replacement

@jimfixer made the best comment on this on this question:

Lithium batteries, such as many cell phone batteries, rarely leak. But when they do, it can be a dangerous occurrence. Clean lithium leaks with water only using a cotton rag. Dispose of the battery itself before doing so, since faulty lithium batteries can burn your skin or even explode. Do not use any type of alcohol to clean up lithium as it can be highly combustible.

Note that you may not be able to save electronics with leakage from a lithium battery inside them. Using them again could expose you to fire risk, even with diligent cleanup. Water should take care of leakage onto your skin or clothing sufficiently.

January 28 by Jimfixer

battery smells like nail polish remover

Replace it, be safe . Its sealed for a reason it may not show signs of leaking now but if and when it does leak it will cause problems in the phone. Replace it

Sorry Jim, I wasn't aware that you were on line.

@mayer Just got here its been a busy week doing wheat on the farm here but its raining today so Im relaxing . Its been hard to get online lately

Wow, rain. I've about forgotten what that looked like. My area has been running right at or over 100 every day with a record tying 109 for the date last week. 99 today. 10% chance of rain all next week. Air-conditioning can't handle that. But your longitude is 800 miles north of me.

@mayer its been between 31c and 36c here but high humidity so we get thunderstorms most afternoons

@jimfixer much hotter than I would have thought. But we did get a record snowfall last winter that shut the city down for days. 12". You know, what you call a duster, right?

CAB will be eternally grateful.