Dryer not turning on or ticking, bad timer or something else?

Hello all!

I have a rather old Whirlpool Ultimate Care II dryer that has recently stopped working. I am not very handy with appliances, but I do notice that I no longer hear the ticking noise when adjusting the timer dial. So my common sense reaction is that the timer must have gone bad on the dryer. These are expensive to fix and with the age of the dryer I would likely be better off just getting something new. However is there anything else that could possibly cause this? Would any other thing going faulty impact the clicking noise you should hear on the timer? Such as a fuse, thermostat or even the general power supply from the outlet?

Most Frequent Causes for Dryer won't start

Cause 1

Thermal Fuse

The thermal fuse is a safety device designed to protect the dryer from overheating. The fuse is located on the blower housing or at the dryer’s heat source such as the heating element on electric dryers or at the burner on gas models. The fuse should be closed for continuity meaning it has a continuous electrical path through it when good. If overheated the fuse will have no continuity meaning the electrical path is broken and the fuse has blown out. A multimeter can be used to test it for continuity. Be aware that a blown thermal fuse is an indication of a restricted exhaust vent from the dryer to the outside. Always check the dryer venting when replacing a blown thermal fuse.

Cause 2

Start Switch

To determine if the start switch is defective, attempt to start the dryer. If the dryer hums but does not start, the start switch is not at fault. If the dryer does not respond or make any noise, the start switch could be at fault. Use a multimeter to test the start switch for continuity. If the switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Cause 3

Door Switch

The door switch activates when the dryer door is closed. On most dryers, the door switch makes an audible clicking sound when it activates. To determine if the door switch is working, try starting your dryer and then listen for the “click.” If the door switch makes a clicking sound, it is probably not defective. If you don’t hear a click, use a multimeter to use the door switch for continuity. If the switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Nathan will be eternally grateful.