13" aluminum unibody, 2.0 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

My trackpad won't register my clicking anymore?

My track pad won't register my clicking anymore? How do I fix it?

Please elaborate on just what the track pad will and won't do. The feel, the sound, and have you spilled anything on it?

Most Helpful Answer

I had the same issue. Trackpad working fine, but the klicks got recognized less and less until not recognized at all. I have just replaced the trackpad (66€) using Ben Eisenmans instrucions in another thread (serach for trackpad). And it woks fine.

Looking now at the replaced part I wonder if it could have been fixed by readjusting the trackpad heights screw. You can already access it when the battery is out, it is the bigger tri-wing screw in the middle bottom of the trackpad. you can screw it in until the trackpad cannot be klicked anymore and then loos it a bit. Worth a try, as it is no effort to do at all.

If it does not work, replace the trackpad. It took me less than 1/2 hour.

Bye Mac

good answer +

After more than 2 years, Mac's post is still useful!

Worked for me perfectly, thanks.

Ok, have you check the connection to the trackpad? if not check that. Have you spill any liquid on the trackpad? If so then you might of fryed the trackpad. So you should clean the trackpad with some alcohol and let dry. You'll have to tear it down. If the trackpad fail, you could buy one on eBay or ifixit. Good luck with that. hope that helps.

Hmm, the trackpad still works in every iteration except the clicking. It still clicks but the mac does not register the click thus no clicking, no click and drag, etc.

How do I check the connection to the trackpad?

I found the connection to the trackpad, it seems pretty tightly connected. After disconnecting it and re-connecting it, restart, I still have the same issues as before. I'm starting wonder if it's a Mac OS software/ firmware related issue??

I like it , If the trackpad fail, you could buy one on eBay or ifixit. http://www.logo-genie.com/

I fixed mine from completely not reacting button to working like new one just with a patient adjustment of it's position! Positioning of this guy is a bit tricky, but simply by moving it a bit you can change it from completely not working to 100% working and there are plenty of positions that are some kind half working. Adjusting it closes to me and out of the keyboard helped me and dont tight the screws they also affect the button. Happy that didn't realised an idea to order a replacement trackpad )

I ran in to a similar problem. It seemed that once I had the battery out the trackpad was free to move and click.

As it turned out, the battery was old and was swelling a bit. This was causing the trackpad to be pressed from behind by the battery. This was the cause of it being unable to click.

Check your battery for swelling. Alternately, there is a trackpad adjustment screw that can be tightened slightly.

I had the same issue, and most of the suggestions above helped (adjusting the trackpad position, adjusting the trackpad screw, reseating the battery, being careful not to over tighten etc) but the click still didn't feel right. I removed the trackpad and placed it on a flat surface and noticed that one of the corners (the left-click corner, the one that was not working properly) was bent slightly. It was barely perceptible, but since the specs are so tight bending it back (very gently, barely) made a big difference. I think it may have gotten bent over time from pushing down harder and harder to get the click to work :-)

So, bending the trackpad back into shape might be worth a try, especially if you are about to buy a replacement anyway.

I have a smiliar issue, my trackpad works OK, BUT I have to press really hard for it to react to clicking if I'm clicking the "usual" way. It reacts totaly fine when I only tap it lightly, like a "touch" click... it really borthers me because this makes click and drag more or less impossible ...

does anyone have any suggestions?

Jon Levi will be eternally grateful.