Roller brush not spinning

The roller brush on my Hoover spins fine if you have the head off of the floor, but as soon as you put in on the carpet it stops spinning. I've replaced the belt and the same thing happens. I ran it with the head cover off and noticed that the motor stops running when the slightest bit of pressure is put on the roller brush, and then it won't start up again until you turn the machine off and on again. Any help greatly appreciated

I fixed this by wrapping about 10 layers of black electrical tape around the brush roller where the belt rides on it. This slightly tightens the belt enough to drive the roller better.

Most Frequent Causes for Vacuum cleaner brush not spinning

Cause 1

Belt

Inspect the belt to see if it is broken, stretched out, or out of place. If the vacuum cleaner belt is broken or stretched out, replace it.

Cause 2

Drive Belt

Inspect the belt to see if it is broken, stretched out, or out of place. If the drive belt is broken or stretched out, replace it.

Cause 3

Cogged Belt

Inspect the belt to see if it is broken, stretched out, or out of place. If the cogged belt is broken or stretched out, replace it.

Cause 4

Brushroll

If the brushroll is sticking, it will cause too much friction and put too much strain on the belt. Remove the brushroll and clean all hair, string, and lint from the brushroll bearings. If the vacuum cleaner brush still doesn’t spin after you clean the brushroll, consider replacing the brushroll.

Cause 5

Brushroll Motor

First, test the power switch for continuity to ensure that the brushroll motor is getting power. If the power switch has continuity, ensure that the motor turns freely and is clear of obstructions. If power is getting to the motor, and the motor turns freely, but the motor still won’t run the motor is likely defective.

Nick will be eternally grateful.