My washing machine will not drain or spin, agitates fine.

Hi, so recently my washing machine stopped draining and spinning. I know the motor works fine, as it agitates fine, also the lid switch works fine. When it hits the spin/drain cycle it will just click.

It's a belt driven setup, belt checks out fine, I'm leaning towards a pump, as it will gravity drain when unplugged, but I'm not sure how to test it, and I don't want to just start throwing parts at it.

Thanks in advance!

~Jim

I need help!! I have a Haier Rwt350aw (top loader, belt driven) It agitates and drains (most of time) and spins sometimes. At first, it was making a weird noise. I ended up changing the drain pump (propeller came loose) It drained and worked for a tiny bit an then would stop at the spin cycle (no spinning) and stay there. I change the computer (for lack of a better word) and still nothing. The motor works fine. I'm starting to think it may be the clutch (i can usually fix things but this has thrown me for a loop) I leave it uplugged and it will work sometimes once i plug it back in. I've spent a bit of money on this machine and it still doesnt work. AHHHH!!!!

The common issue with won't spin and won't drain is the lid switch. That's what I would go for first.

Here's the service manual on your machine: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/895199/...

Here's where to get parts: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-nu...

Most Frequent Causes for Washer won't drain

Cause 1

Drain Pump

Sometimes, small objects or articles of clothing can get caught in the drain pump. To determine if anything is blocking the drain pump, remove the drain pump and check the pump for obstructions. If the drain pump is clear of obstructions, but is still noisy during the drain cycle, replace the drain pump.

Cause 2

Clogged Pump or Hose

Sometimes, socks and other small articles of clothing can get into the drain system and clog the pump hose or the pump itself. Remove the hoses from the pump and check for any obstructions.

Cause 3

Lid Switch Assembly

The lid switch assembly prevents the washer from spinning when the lid is open. If the lid switch assembly fails, the washer will not drain. To determine if the lid switch assembly is defective, use a multimeter to test each of the lid switches for continuity. If a lid switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Most Frequent Causes for Washer won't spin

Cause 1

Lid Switch Assembly

The lid switch assembly prevents the washer from spinning when the lid is open. If the lid switch assembly fails, the washer will not spin. To determine if the lid switch assembly is defective, use a multimeter to test the lid switch for continuity. If the lid switch does not have continuity, replace it.

Cause 2

Motor Coupling

The motor coupling connects the motor to the washer transmission. If the washer is overloaded, the motor coupling will fail in order to protect both the motor and transmission. The motor coupling can also fail due to normal wear. Inspect the motor coupling to determine if it is broken. If the motor coupling is broken, replace it.

Cause 3

Drive Belt

Inspect the drive belt to determine if it is broken or if it is loose on the pulleys. If the drive belt is broken or loose, replace it.

take out the pump and unsnap one side to open up then make sure the small pump propeller did not come off the motor spindle ...if so reattach with a small amount of super clue( use gel type)...wait for it to dry...check that it spins without coming off then resnap back together and put pump back on unit...should drain just fine...:)

Very useful answer ! In my case it was only the lid switch. It was still working but for some reason the pin on the lid needs to go deeper to activate it ?!? I could ear the click of the switch by inserting a screw driver deeper in the switch hole while closing the lid did not. Fixing a small piece of hard plastic tubing on the lid pin to make it longer fixed it (at least for now...).

Just for me to know, if I still have some issues with the switch, can I just bypass it by making a direct connection between the 2 wires on the switch in the meantime I replace it or does the switch has a specific resistor or something else in it to prevent this ?

An other question I had while troubleshooting my machine: what would you recommend to empty the water from the washer if a more major repair is needed ? Thanks !

the water if draining just fine but not spinning

was working just fine until it was used by some of my house guests i think it was over loaded!

My washer the motor work fine, change the water but when it rinse it Do not spin during rinsing what can be the problem. The pump change the water just fine, but spin the machine.

Kenmore front load wont drain or spin replace door lock and also cleaned out drain and the load will lock and start to run cycle water will stop then nothing happens but water will run again.

I have a GE washer I tested the motor and door switch they are both working fine but it will not spin or agitate when on any load cycle what else could be the problem

JIm will be eternally grateful.