Fan constantly running at max speed

I have a problem with an ASUS Zenbook UX301LA where 10-20 minutes after I boot up the fan will start running at maximum speed regardless of temperature/CPU usage.

If I just start up and leave it idle the fan will kick in after a short time, the temperature sensors show core temp hovering around 32-38°C (90-100°F) and the CPU usage not rising above 2-5%. Once the fan is stuck on max even after a couple of hours idle it won't come down.

I've updated all drivers in device manager, updated the BIOS, downgraded the BIOS but to no effect (I have had other problems with the BIOS since upgrading to Windows 10, but I didn't have this problem for the first 4 months or so after the upgrade). I also tried to build this laptop fan control tool but didn't have any luck on Windows 10 (I know pretty much nothing about Windows system programming).

Any suggestions much appreciated :) It's not a huge problem but it would be nice to find a fix. The fact that the temperature sensors are showing sensible values makes me think it's not just a damaged/unplugged sensor.

Hey there,

in my laptop, the fans get really dusty and it seems that it makes them run more frequently. I am assuming the corresponding temperature goes up along with it (I have never checked), but it might be worth a try to clean all the fans. Make sure to fix them while doing it, so that the turning fan cannot induce any currents in the laptop while it is off.

Avy Linus will be eternally grateful.