Released March 2006, identified by model D620 on the keyboard bezel.

Dell laptop won't start!

I have a Dell latitude d620 and sometimes when i press the power button the three keyboard buttons are flashing and nothing else happens! no signal at the lcd, no nothing! Any ideas?

i forgot to say that sometimes it starts up correctly... i read about damaged cpu or motherboard but it works nice when it opens...

My laptop only 2 lights blinks but it wonts get started

I have this problem with dell latitude D620, when the adapter is removed while on battery the system will boot but immediately I plug on adapter the system shut down. What can I do to solve this problem.

One of the memory modules could be bad.

Dell Latitude D620 has hidden memory module under the keyboard.

Try removing memory modules one by one.

Thank you for this disassempling tutorial with pictures :)

Sounds like the RAM chip under the keyboard is not seated to suit itself. If you've never done this before, refer to the Tear Down photos before you try it. If you are all thumbs, bring it to somebody.

After unplugging the AC adapter and removing the battery, you might try taking the keyboard off, disconnecting the cable and removing inspecting and reinstalling the RAM chip.

If it springs up when you release the clips, remove it and inspect the buss. If it looks clean and smooth, reinstall it by carefully pushing it gently into the socket at the release angle. After you feel it seat slowly push it down. If the clips snap around the base, you should have it seated.

Reassemble the keyboard cable being careful to get the tie down clip and the wire handle down flat. Replace the keyboard, and the battery and AC adapter and fire it up. You should get a message telling you that the RAM has been removed. press the F1, and the boot should kick windows on.

Good luck!

good medicine

Should have thought of this!

If you lay a piece of paper on the screen, after you unseat the keyboard, you can lay it on the paper and save yourself the hassle of unplugging the screen cable! Don't scratch that screen.....

Good luck!

Thanks for your help! I tried this as you said but sometimes it won't open the same as before... i can not understand this machine. It will open i will work some hours (some times it works for days..) and it will stop... :/

thanks yesterday I was worrying today thanks to this remark I smill

I have an E6420 which would not boot up past the Dell splash screen. Sometimes I could get it into the BIOS mode and occasionally would boot after that. I spent hours trying to get it to boot.

But I happened to look a the usb ports on the right hand side, one had the black plastic inner insulation snapped off and the left most pin was shorting to the case. Bent this back and boots ok now.

My Dell Latitude D620 would not star so I pressed the Function key at the same time with the power key and the battery light is blinking off and on with the lightning bolt ⚡️ going through it. That means that the battery was dead and it's charging? I checked it and it stopped charging so I guessed I am going to have to get a used battery online.

While you can fix this laptop, I wouldn't recommend it.

The main reasons are these laptops are so old Dell no longer makes parts. Anything left is pulled from dead D620's at this point. There are no parts left that are new. It's all used at this point.

The other problems this laptop has today is the fact Dell recalled the batteries back in 2006 and 2009 and they no longer produce new batteries. The ones left are either unchecked, dead for rebuilding or used. The majority of the D series batteries are sold for rebuild if used. Lucky gems are next to impossible to find. Most of them are rebuild virgins are recalled ones that didn't explode.

I would get a Dell E6400 or E6410. You can still find parts for these, Dell makes batteries and they aren't junk. If you have the money, an E6420 isn't a bad option either. This will cost you more then a video cable. Now if the display is dead then you'll be in more then a E series with repairing this. The inverters fail, but it's far less common then the panel failing. But in return for trading up to a E series Dell you get the ability to buy batteries new, you can find parts for them and they're even easier to repair then the D series is. Dell really outdid themselves with the E series compared to the D series.

It is most likely a open solider joint on the motherboard. It is probably the memory slot

i got similar problem and got it repaired from a technician who told that it was only dust (with carbon particles and cottony material) which was cleaned up and fan could not start.... after cleaning it started normal working

durrani

one more thing press FN+POWER button simultanously and see what happens... note of numlock, capslock, and scroll loack keys which one is steady green and which one flshing,,, report answer

durrani

I have this problem and the numlock button is flashing

I am also having same issue with d630, when pressed fn+power button. Three

Locks light brighten up and then nothing happened.

Fixed mine, did all above to no avail, it was reseating the video cable which can be found beneath the keybord, and it immediately booted. Fault description was: No beep, no bios boot, no fan, no HD spin, All lights blinking fast and then off. Reseated and swapped memory, reseated HD, CPU, keyboard.

I took the lvcd cable loose and it booted, This tell me something is wrong with the lcd or the lcd inverter. I have it hooked up to an external monitor and it comes up fine.

I have dell d620 problem is when I start my laptop I have to press n keep then my laptop start then desktop come properly after that if I press any key automatic gets off plz give the solution

have dell d620 problem is when I start my laptop I have to press n keep then my laptop start then desktop come properly after that if I press any key automatic gets off plz give the solution

Plz solve my problem

my dell latitude D620 screen goes blank and stays blank when it has to boot from the internal hhd or usb or even cd, i can not even run diagnostic test. all my laptop can do now is go to Bios settings. it turns and stays blank when not at bois. plz help me...very urgent.

Nikos K will be eternally grateful.