went through the washer, now battery won't charge
My iPod was soaking wet when it came out of the washing machine, and I tried to dry it out in rice, but it still only works with the charger. As soon as I unplug it, it stops working. Anybody know a good way to tell if it really the battery or instead related to the charging circuit? Or something else?
Thanks for the reply. Here's what I found- got the unit apart, found the solder connection where the battery attaches to the mainboard, and measured voltages with the unit plugged in and on. 3 solder pads, from top (as in closer to the top of the iPod) measure as follows:
top-middle= changes depending on what is displayed on the screen.
top-bottom= 4.11 Volts.
Believing that the 4.11 is the charging voltage and the top-middle voltage is the regulated output to the mainboard.
Unplugged the unit and the 4.11V disappeared (duh) and the top-middle voltage went to 0 V.
Based on this, it appeared the batter was getting power to charge but not charging. I ordered a new battery and soldered it in (not for the weak of heart of shaky of hand) and this fixed the problem. Top-bottom now measures 3.81 V, which makes sense if the battery is charging now. I did not wait for the batter to charge to see what the V would be when fully charged. Hope this helps somebody else! thanks all!
disassembly and inspection can answer such questions. Look to see if there's corrosion or burn marks on the logic board that's your problem. If not inspect the battery could be swollen (indication of short) or damaged.
If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted.