Stick vac not charging

Hi, I was using my beloved Ergorapido (20 months old, working well to this point), battery was probably getting quite low, when all of a sudden it cut out, but in a stranger way than usually when the battery runs out. The suction usually drops off for a couple of minutes before the whole thing cuts out, but there was still fairly good suction at that point - motor still quite loud.

I put it on to charge but nothing is happening. When I place the whole stick vac on the charger the charging light lights up for a split second but then goes off. Same thing when I put the hand vac into the stick vac body while on the charger. So there is some initial current happening but it's not going beyond that.

I know batteries are problematic on these units, but it's not a case of it gradually losing charge capacity - this was very sudden.

Any help appreciated!

Most Helpful Answer

adrienneiii it is possible that the battery shorted out. When a battery shortens out it just stops vs, running a low charge. That would also explain why "the charging light lights up for a split second" I'd start with that since if nothing else, it will provide you with a known-good starting point for further troubleshooting.

Thanks oldt! Sounds right. Solution - either junk or replace battery, I guess?

adrienneiii not quite. Replace battery, if not working try to fix. Don't junk ;-)

Thanks, but it's one of those annoying situations where the battery unit costs almost as much as what I originally paid for the whole unit...

adrienneiii will be eternally grateful.