Stick vac not charging

Hi, I was using my beloved Ergorapido (20 months old, working well to this point), battery was probably getting quite low, when all of a sudden it cut out, but in a stranger way than usually when the battery runs out. The suction usually drops off for a couple of minutes before the whole thing cuts out, but there was still fairly good suction at that point - motor still quite loud.

I put it on to charge but nothing is happening. When I place the whole stick vac on the charger the charging light lights up for a split second but then goes off. Same thing when I put the hand vac into the stick vac body while on the charger. So there is some initial current happening but it's not going beyond that.

I know batteries are problematic on these units, but it's not a case of it gradually losing charge capacity - this was very sudden.

Any help appreciated!

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

adrienneiii it is possible that the battery shorted out. When a battery shortens out it just stops vs, running a low charge. That would also explain why "the charging light lights up for a split second" I'd start with that since if nothing else, it will provide you with a known-good starting point for further troubleshooting.

Thanks oldt! Sounds right. Solution - either junk or replace battery, I guess?

adrienneiii not quite. Replace battery, if not working try to fix. Don't junk ;-)

Thanks, but it's one of those annoying situations where the battery unit costs almost as much as what I originally paid for the whole unit...

I am having the same problem and I have only had the vcume cleaner for all of 2 months .Surely the battery lasts longer then 2 months

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Did you ever end up fixing yours?

Mine was doing exactly the same thing, with the light only going on for a split second. After two days I found that the connector from the charger to the base unit was loose. Put the connector in properly and now all is well.

Same problem with mine. When the vacuum was mounted to the base the light goes on then off. Sometimes would blink on and off. When I push on the vacuum to the base tighter the light goes on and stay steady. Seems the charging contact from the base to the vacuum is not seated tight to maintain good contact and the light was on steady. So every time I charge the vacuum i make sure to tie the base and the vacuum together until the light is on.

adrienneiii will be eternally grateful.