Released in 2003, the iBook G4 replaced the iBook G3 as Apple's portable consumer computer.

replace hard drive problems

I just replaced the hard drive in my ibook g4 with a new WD hard drive. The computer will boot up and shows a folder with a blinking "?", but will not let me load the start up disk into the disk drive to load the program. Was there anything else I was to do before adding the hard drive?

Make sure you connected the drive right and that it is properly formatted, that ? means no startup disk.

If you have done all these things boot from the install DVD by holding C or option at startup

Ok I went back in and reset the hard drive. Now it will boot up and I can see the Apple with the little icon going around but does not get past this to where I can get to Disk Utility.

When I force start with the boot up disk, when I went to install OSX on it, the program sees the new hard drive, but stops at “select destination” not seeing the drive. So I did a partition and then it started and loaded disk 1 of 2. The computer would not finish 1 for the 2nd disk. Is there a way to erase the drive and start again or fix where I am at?

u2canfreefall will be eternally grateful.