Released October 2008 / 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 or 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

441 Questions View all

Lateral hit, MBP shuts down from time to time.

Hi, I was carrying my MBP on a bag when it broke down and it fell down from 1m or so from the lateral corner where the hard drive is. There is a hole but everything works fine except for that it shuts down from time to time.

It may stay a day without shutting down, or it may close one time and another for a week.

Lately it's worse and i just can't use it any more.

When it shuts down it seems like it had no power source ( though it happens both with battery and without )

Does any one have any idea of what to do?


Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 2
Add a comment

3 Answers

Chosen Solution

Could be

overheating, Or damage to HD

Boot from Systems disk, run->Tools->Disk Utility->Disk First Aid, repair disk.

Could be that the fall loosened or broke a thermal indicator, or the thermal paste.

If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted.

Good Luck,


Was this answer helpful?

Score 2


+ a start


Machead, thanks, I have tried the disk repair tool but that ended without any problem so the problem must be somewhere else.

The computer shuts down either if it's cold or really hot, plugged, un-plugged or without battery. And I haven't seen any pattern that could tell me where the problem is except that it 'decides' to boot easily when i close the screen.

Any other idea?



Add a comment

I had an identical problem; eventually realized it only had the problem when the battery which was bloating was installed. replaced battery, problem solved.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 1


Was your also dropped? Or was it just suddenly shutting down?


Add a comment


As Machead said, a thermal sensor is loose or damaged, or the thermal paste seal between the heat sink and various chips (most likely the processor) has been broken.

A jolt will break the seal between the heatsink and the component it is drawing the heat away from and so will no longer function efficiently, allowing the component to overheat and shutdown to avoid any permanent damage.

The existing thermal paste will need to be removed and reapplied.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 0
Add a comment

Add your answer

Albert Castellana will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 1,550