Repair information for a variety of old school gaming systems.

Please help! Can you identify this switch?

This is the power switch to the Retron 3. If you're not familiar with the system it's a combo NES/SNES/Genesis. The power switch doesn't fully extend at times which causes me to open the system to reset the switch. Does anyone know what kind of switch this is so I can buy a replacement or does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks for your help in advance!

Hey Brian,

I figured out a few months ago that this is a 8mmx8mm 6 pin on/off dip switch. I didn't realize that this post was still active. The console is currently up and running like nothing ever happened. I couldn't find the switches locally so I had to order them online. Smallest quantity I could find on amazon was 30 pcs so I've got more than enough spares now.

Navy Vet 2015, Are you able to provide more details on the switch you ordered like a model and manufacturer or a link. Further to your information I am guessing its a SPST latching switch? The 6 pins are throwing me off.

I am having the same issue with mine and I found switches on Amazon as well but want to make sure they are known to work due to the long shipping time.

Hey liquidtouch,

I can absolutely help. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "SPST latching switch" but by 6 pin I was referring to the number of pins that would go through the through holes on the motherboard. Here is the exact link on Amazon that I made my purchase:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R1L...

They look slightly different but operate exactly as the OEM switch. If you haven't completely torn down your Retron 3 yet I will inform you that when you make this repair you will have to pull out all 4 boards at the same time since they are glued together at the wire connections. It's a little tricky to replace obviously because the 3 smaller boards "flop" around. I laid the system on the Genesis board and had the main board propped up against a non conductive item at a 90 degree angle. I hope this information helps and if I can be of further assistance in this repair don't hesitate to ask :)

If you're an Amazon Prime member there's an option to get these switches in 2 days for about $3 more if you're in a hurry. Happy retro gaming!

Very helpful, Thanks!

I see these are DPDT Latching (Double Pull, Double Throw) meaning inside they have two switches activated by pressing the one button. Latching just means when the button is pressed it stays Open, another press and it stays shut (This is the part of the switch which stopped working on mine). SPST would be a single switch inside. A non-latching switch would mean the button is open or closed when pressed and then returns to the default state upon release. Sounds like the issue with your switch was the small spring inside.

I am in Canada so I found a similar switch but can't get prime for these ones just free shipping. This is the one I ordered, it doesn't state if its double or single but I'll test and see if it works. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008DS0...

Thanks for the tips! My kids will be happy to resume playing Bomberman 4 and 5 from Japan. Highly recommended if you like the party style games as these both allow for 5 players if you have the adaptor!

Looking at the Retron 3 system online that is the reset button and it is supposed to have a big button attached to it. Either the plastic button is not attaching fully to your push button or yours broke off of the original button. So you are having to remove the plastic casing just to push the reset button? Does the button stay with the case. Is it attached to the case or is it separate from the case? If it is separate from the case then I would two part epoxy the button on the switch. Now if the button is an actual part of the case then I would RTV the button to the switch.

Let's say the system is put together and I push the power button to turn on the system. The push switch clicks when it hits the down, or on position, and it's supposed to click when you release the button and it returns to its up position. My switch does not make it to its fully extended position which would reset the switch this way when I push it the next time the system would turn off. Instead, I'm having to unplug the system in order to power it down and open it up to reset the switch this way it'll turn on the next time I want to play. The big issue with this is that the unplugging process and taking it apart somehow affects the saved games on some of the cartridges, which any gamer can attest to the frustration of lost game saves. I have no idea what caused the initial damage to the switch. No liquids have ever been spilled on it and when it's not in use it's in its box.

Switches do get bad with over use and the only way to fix them is replacement. Sorry but it would be best if you could find a replacement and the plastic cover for that switch.

Navy Vet 2015 will be eternally grateful.