Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

Phone works, but doesn't charge nor communicates with iTunes

Hey all, I purchased a faulty 4s 64Gb in beautiful conditions inside out. Wouldn't turn on thus I swapped battery and seen it booting to desktop and seems to work fine. Unfortunatly the Pc doesn't see it at all, although I tried with different cables, working fine with other iPhones. Charging is the second problem; it seems to charge briefly for a second then disconnetcs. I replaced the dock with a surely working one but it didn't make a change. It seems there's nothing left but the logic board. Anyone got some suggestion before I trash it ? Thanks in advance for help.

This is a fault with the logic board itself (chip that controls throughput from charging dock to battery), or with the battery connector.

Plugging the phone in will give it enough power to boot up, but as no charge goes to the battery it will act like a boot loop and power down again, then power up, etc.

Also check the battery connector for signs of previous repair. Sometimes they are pried from the logoc board when the battery is disconnected and often a new one needs to be soldered in it's place. If there is track damage from tearing the old connector off, a previous attempt at this repair may not have been successful, and you will have the symptoms you have described as the battery will not connect.

Thanks for help. The battery connector seems to be in perfect order and there are no signs of attempted repairs whatsoever..I was impressed by how it looked new and clean everything inside, as if it was an unused phone. A kind of mistery to me. Is the chip controlling the throughput a kind of repair a skillful technician might attempt or better just forget it ? thanks again !!

The IC chip can be replaced but requires microsoldering which I never attempt as it is beyond my skill set. I usually find a skilled repairer on eBay and post them off. If you can find one, it is worth messaging them first so they can assist with the diagnosis. As they do these kinds of repairs regularly, they can usually tell you if their repair will solve your problem just by talking them through the symptoms and they also usually have a "no fix-no fee" logic, although that won't cover postage

Arbaman will be eternally grateful.