Water is dispensing even with no filter, not going through the filter

I have previously been successful in changing the water filter in my Samsung refrigerator model # RS2530BWP. This time, the filter is completely dry, the water going to the ice maker and the dispenser is not going through the filter. Also, the dispenser works fine when the filter is removed - as though the water is bypassing the filter all together. Is this possible? Is this a housing defect, a valve issue, or other?? Thanks for any assistance you can offer!

I noticed the same. Filter is always dry. Works with no filter in place. I think it's a filter gimmic. Just keep replacing filters every 6 months. Been like this since new. I think Samsung should reimburse me for all the filters I've bought, plus exchange the fridge.

Just recently I went to my local appliance store and spoke with a "good ole boy," an older gentleman who has seen it all. He was pretty sure (correctly!) that it was the filter housing unit - the thing the filter actually attaches to. (I can get the part number for my model fridge if that'd be helpful.) Apparently there is some sort of valve in there... who knew?? NOW I know just had bad my water was actually tasting!!

Appliance Newbie will be eternally grateful.