Model A1502 / 2.6 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) or 2.8 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz) dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Top row of keys backlight don't light up (every other key).

Hello everyone! I have a 2014 MacBook Pro Retina that I'm trying to repair. The computer was water damaged and everything worked fine except for the top row of keys on the keyboard, what I mean by that is the backlight was the problem. Starting with the esc, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10 and F12 keys, the backlight is not on at all. So I figured the keyboard was the problem (since it was water damaged.) I bought a new top case and installed it, everything works fine but again the same keys don't light up. What can be the problem? I checked for corrosion on the backlight connector on the logic board but nothing is there, I cleaned it out with Isopropyl alcohol as well. Thank you for your help!

Last four digits of serial number are: G3QH

Due to a change in EveryMacs policy we can no longer tell which machine this is by the last four digits. Please go here and enter your complete serial number:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-loo...

See if those keys work with an external keyboard.

@mayer? What do you mean, the buttons on the keyboard all work 100%, it's just the backlight won't work for those specific keys.

@mayer

MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.6 13" Mid-2014

That's the notebook, any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks for your time!

This is that tad bit silly problem... I think there is a problem with the connector that the keyboard ribbon cable connects to (or on the logic board leading to the connector) ware one of the powered lines is either not providing power or insufficient power... Sorry... Don't know what to tell you...

@ethreal1 I'll try to clean that out and see how it goes. Thank you for that answer.

Jabran Shakil will be eternally grateful.