The Apple iPhone 5c was announced on September 10, 2013. Repair of this device is similar to the previous models, and requires screwdrivers and prying tools. Available as GSM or CDMA / 8, 16, 32 GB / White, Pink, Yellow, Blue, and Green.

I broke the adhesive strip tab on the battery

As i was trying to replace my charge port i broke the adhesive tab on the battery and can't figure out how to remove the battery without the tab. Can someone help? It is urgent!

This is an old question but I thought it would be a good idea to remind people that if the adhesive tabs are broken, the safest thing to do is to remove the logic board before attempting to pry the battery out (heat or no heat). Remove the port & speaker too if you want lots of room to work from. That way you will minimize the deformation to the battery.

iPhone 5c Logic Board Replacement

iPhone 5c Lightning Connector Assembly Replacement

The iPhone 5C has tiny surface mount components near the edge of the logic board near the battery connector. If you pry the battery from there, you can easily knock some components off the board. They are minuscule and once separated from the board, are indistinguishable from dust...seriously!

iPhone 5c Lightning Connector Assembly Image

Guide

Difficulty: Difficult45 мин. - 2 часов

Most Helpful Answer

You have to do it the hard way.

Unless you remove the speakers and somehow pick out the remaining strip and keep pulling.

I'm sorry to be ignorant, but what is the hard way?

My hard way is using a heat gun and prying the battery from the bottom left and deforming making it not reusable.

Hey Colin Sweet,

Just use som heat and try to pry the battery up. Do this very carfully.

Remember to do this from the back of the phone and not the battery side. My brother once fried his battery by heating it from the wrong side.

Haha, ofcourse Lauren. Never apply heat into the phone, just apply from the back.

Before you nuclear, try the tabs again.

Look at the bottom of the battery towards the charge port for the white adhesive. If you can grab it with tweezers, you can SLOWLY pull on it and still get it out.

If you have to go nuclear, watch out for the power flex at the top right under the battery.

Here is a method a friend of mine developed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkCyl7kR...

He uses fishing line to pull away at the glue.

Also this method that uses a metal wire looks promising - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5GzU11q...

Thanks for the links! My co-workers were getting tired of me swearing at the damned adhesive strips. They thank you for the links, too.

just as a point of interest, most of the time i get iphone's with charge port problems, its just dirt stuck in the port that stops the charger going in properly.

try plugging the charger in, if it doesn't sit flush against the bottom of the phone, its probably just fluff inside.

try pulling it out , CAREFULLY with tweezers or something else that may fit in the charge port

Colin Sweet will be eternally grateful.