The following guides will walk you through common troubleshooting and replacement issues that Pentax users have encountered. Each guide contains complete information that will easily direct you through the process.

Date/time doesn't hold when battery removed

Pretty much as above. I assume there's an internal battery that has failed or I am overlooking something. After resetting, I DO use "settings complete" and "done", but it defaults to manufacture date when battery is removed for recharging. Thanks for any help.

According to the User manual for your camera : the date and time may be returned to the default settings if the camera is left without the battery for a long time.

This seems to indicate that there is another battery (usually user inaccessible) which is used to maintain certain settings, predominately the Date and Time.

How long is a long time? It should certainly be longer than the recharge time of the main battery.

I agree with you the settings backup battery has failed.

Here is a link which shows the teardown of a WG3. At 16 seconds into the video I believe that you can see what I think is a button battery on the mainboard, (directly above the red end of the screwdriver handle). If it is a standard button type battery, these are usually not rechargeable but have a long life, especially if their function is usually performed by the main battery. They only have a very low discharge current when the main battery is removed. In some older PC's the CMOS battery was of the same type and usually lasted 6-8 years before replacement was necessary. Mind you it is a lot easier to replace them than to replace the one in the camera by the look of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0A6MnF6...

Planned obsolescence - perhaps?

Buddy Huggett will be eternally grateful.