iPhone 4

Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 16 or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

When making calls, the other party can't hear me.

So, when I make a call through the handset, the other party can't hear me, but when I turn on speaker phone, they can hear me just fine. I can hear them, and the ringer works just fine.

any thoughts?

OH, and also, I can hear myself in the handset in an echo.

i have the same problem and seems to be the mic, because the sound recorder doesnt work either it seems to be a hardware problem dude!!!

by ariot

My friend has the same problem. We tried Skype Test and everything went fine. We recorded a show on tv via video recorder and it's fine so it means that the microphone is working fine. Viber is also working good. It's only when we are using the normal phone to call... The thing is that my voice is mirrored back as an echo but the other line cannot hear me. that is the problem

by jamiro

I have this problem for my phone too but I have an iPhone 5s. I can hear the other party but they can't hear me unless I talk on speaker phone. Has anyone had this problem with the iPhone 5s?

by Blaise

When making a phone call with my iPhone4, the other party can't heard me and neither that I, once I turn it on speaker it's ok. What should I do??

by Cristal Salgado

cristal there are lots of posts on ifixit regarding this problem. most likely it is the microphone on your dock connector which will need replacing. have a quick look at the "solutions" under the photo of the iphone 4 on this page...

by pollytintop

Most Helpful Answer

Check to make sure there is no pocket lint in the headphone jack. Lint, dirt, and other debris can send mixed signals to the phone causing similar issues. I like to use the pro picks that I purchase from ifixit for this task and a can of air if needed.

Also, the iPhone 4 in many cases is still under warranty - it's something to always check out on newer devices.

I have the same problem, other party cannot hear my voice -intermittent - its annoying, I have to repeat myself many times. No lint in areas of concern. When I touch the phone or move in certain position then the party can hear. I purchased bluetooth aid but same problem??? cant hear me.

Try starting a new question.. This one is old an only looked at for reference. You'll get more help that way

by pollytintop

Clear the small hole near the headphone jack with a very thin pin. That should make it work.

I scoured the Internet for a fix, and I've found a few hints that narrowed my problem down.

SYMPTOMS (With Microphone, Ear Buds, or Bluetooth):

I call and callers can't hear me.

In/Out calls work for a few seconds, then callers can't hear me all of a sudden.

All other applications that use the iPhone microphone work, yet phone app on does not.

HINTS FROM INTERNET:

Loose back glass screws.

Put pressuse on left or right bottom corners of iPhone 4.

POSSIBLE FIXES:

While testing (facing the back glass), I made calls and put pressure on the left and right sides of the bottom of the iPhone 4. Sure enough, not one could hear me unless I pressed the right bottom of the ihone 4. Once I let go, they can't hear me again. Putting pressure back on, they can hear me.

FIX (So Far):

I unscrewed the bottom two screws and removed the back glass. I pre-cut a piece of manila folder about one square inch, and layed it inside the back bottom right, and put the back glass back on. My theory is that the piece of manila folder put just enough pressure on the internal components so that I did not have to manually do it.

IT WORKED!!!!

DISCLAIMER: This is just my fix. I, nor this forum, take any resposibility for damages to your iPhone if you attempt this process.

iPhone 4 the caller can't hear me, but i can hear them fix

try here worked for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s21dOrOn...

From what I've read sounds as though the microphone module on the dock connector and/or proximity connector needs to be replaced.

I've worked on several where I thought the proximity sensor was out, but, ended up being the mic module having trouble switching (and it is a cheaper and faster fix).

I've also came across a couple of jailbroken iphone 4's where the jailbreak caused the same issues (cydia).

For reference, here is a simple of mic locaitons, etc on the iphone 4:

(note #2 and #10, both are microphones, but have different functions)

http://ipod.about.com/od/introductiontot...

just to make sure, try to use voice recorder, if u can record ur voice properly, means no prob with the microphone... and probably the problem is with software or the proxim sensor...

My problem is the caller can not hear me on speaker, everything else is just fine, when I use the phone on an app that you talk into it works just fine, what could be the problem.

I had this intermittent issue where callers could either not hear me or hear static. I did a complete reload of the software and reset the network settings on the phone but the problem always came back. I finally got to the point where the problem occurred all the time so I decided to open it up. I removed the battery and the speaker/mic assembly to check for debris but I found nothing. I also could not find any liquid damage on the board. I reassembled the device and now the phone works great. The only thing I believe it could've been was that the screws may have loosened and the board was not grounded. I've seen this happen to laptops just from typical transport or movement. Just something to consider if you see this problem however if your phone is still under warranty, have Apple service it.

Using earbuds fixed my problem. Well, at least, it's the only way they other party can hear them. without out earbuds i can hear them perfectly fine but i'm inaudible.

Try a new dock connector to replace your microphone.

by oldturkey03

I could hear them fine, but they couldn't hear me unless I was on speaker or bluetooth. It was an intermittent problem, but then more persistent.

I tightened the tiny screws at the bottom of the iphone4, as suggested above, and hooray! It is working again!

Thank you Michael Romero and Jason :)

I had the same problem after a downthrow. I heard the others but they did not heard me on a normal phone call. Free speech via Bluetooth did also not work. Then I had found these Youtube Video and -> it works fine :-) I only need even two pieces of paperboard on top of each other.

Thanks Raj, worked for me with same issue. I really appreciate your help

loosen the tiny screw at the bottom part of the camera, paper didnt work for me, my opinion here is just an opinion any harm that can happen to your phone was not my fault, or if you want you can go ahead and watch the video on youtube.

My problem is solved. I had the same problem described here but it was solved by removing just one recording app I had installed and did not know it is causing this echo problme for a few weeks. To exclude all the problems regarding your downloaded apps you should back up your phone and without restoring reset your iphone to a new iphone. Again do not do a restore. Then try calling someone. You problem might have been resolved.

I had this problem and used a can of air duster to spray the earphone jack and charging dock. Problem solved! : )

pssfotr

Dustin will be eternally grateful.