Model A1181: 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Letter "T" capitalized works only if I press the Caps Lock key

Hi

Macbook White a1181 2GHz Core 2 Duo mid 2007.

All keyboard keys are working fine -both uppercase and lowercase- except when I try to write the capital "T".

If I press "shift + T" keys, don't write anything. The only way to write a capital "T" is by pressing the Caps Lock key + "T" key. (the "t" lower-case letter is working fine)

All the other keys and functions on the keyboard are working fine. I have replaced the silver Upper Case Cable, but no success.

Connecting an external USB keyboard everything works fine.

Do you have any idea about this strange issue?

Question: Is it both Shift Keys that do not work with the "T" or just one?

Hi Brian.

Honestly, until reading your comments, I had not thought to check the right-hand Shift Key. And yes, pressing the right-hand Shift Key I get to write a capital "T" !!

Thanks Brian!

Most Helpful Answer

Yes, you do have a very odd condition! I suspect the encoder chip logic which is part of the upper case is damaged somehow (did you spill something into the keyboard).

I would just replace the upper case assembly here: MacBook Santa Rosa/Penryn Upper Case with Keyboard. Follow this IFIXIT guide: MacBook Core 2 Duo Upper Case Replacement

MacBook Santa Rosa/Penryn Upper Case with Keyboard Image

Thanks Dan!

This is a second hand macbook, so I do not know what happened in the past.

That "encoder chip" to which you refer, is the one located on a small board under the trackpad?

If so, is there any easy way of replacing just that small board? ....because this macbook has a spanish keyboard and I would like to keep the same arrangement of keys on the keyboard.

thanks!

mmm ... Sadly, you can't buy the circuit board alone. But, you could try transferring it from the replacement case. But, I think it would be smarter just replacing the upper case just to be sure that if it was anything else it too would be replaced.

Look online I'm sure you can find a Spanish version of the part. The Apple P/N is 922-9550 just append the word Spanish in your search. Here's one I found 13" MacBook Keyboard w/Top Case Housing (Spanish) (White).

Thanks for the info Dan!

aronofski will be eternally grateful.