0

Kevin
1

Click wheel is haunted

This question is archived. No new answers are allowed, and only the question's owner may edit it.

I must have some dust or something in my click wheel. The volume starts going up and down on its own while playing a song and if I try to use the wheel, it's very jumpy. It's pretty bad if I leave the iPod in my car and it gets hot. Once it cools off, it works normally for the most part.

Can I clean underneath the wheel without taking it all apart or do I just need to replace the click wheel altogether?

Edited by: oldturkey03 ( ) , bushing ( )

Archived as not answerable by oldturkey03

0

unintellegentdesigns
1

im positive you cant 'clean' a click wheel like that. however i dont think dust is the problem. I would say have an apple tech look at it and stop leaving it in the car. heat is bad for electronics

0

bjoernen hj
897

Well, if you want to give cleaning a try I'm almost certain you'll have to take it apart. But I agree that chances are that it's unlikely to be dust.

From your description, however, I get the idea that it's the click wheel that has been damaged, and it can be replaced.

They've got one here:

iPod Nano Gen 3 Front Panel

Don't know if you'll be able to find one without getting a new front cover with it. And worst case senario is that it's the logic board that's damaged.

- to the right on this page there are links to repair-guides, parts for sale, a tear down and other answered questions about your product.

0

Kevin
1

I am not sure if its the same, but mine gets jumpy all the time due to static charge. I simply slide the lock switch to lock, then unlock it and its fine until the charge builds back up again.