My iPhone 5s has white squares near the bottom of the screen

I accidentally dropped my iphone into the water.

After drying it up I found some white squares near the bottom of the screen. The phone works fine under some conditions (e.g. swiping up not working), I read in some forums that I need to replace the screen.

Can you please tell me if I can do this?

I wouldn't go on replacing the screen just yet, the phone inside is most likely water damaged internally. You will need to clean the logic board and connectors of any water damage or corrosion. As far as I know it's cleaned usually with isopropyl alcohol and other such techniques that I do not know of.

In worse cases, some component IC chips may have been burnt due to water damage. These usually can be mainly the touch IC chip and etc.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your prompt reply

Juan Carlos Egas will be eternally grateful.