flashing folder with question mark on screen, after replacing hard dri

i sucessfully followed your instrctions to replace my hard drive. I turned on the mac book pro & i have a flashing folder with a ? in the middle - i dont know what to do from here - any suggestions ? with thx

Have you installed the operating system onto the hard drive?

by Scott Head

Start up from your system installation disk. The folder with the question mark means it can't find a system. Go to the second screen pull down menu, Utilities, Disk utility and format the the hard drive. Then give it one partition. Now go back to the installation and install the system. Now download the updates by going under the Apple in the upper left hand corner to "Software Update".

This helped me too. You rock! It might be an idea to add these instructions at the end of your Hard Drive Replacement help instructions.

by pavellsv

perfect - many thx.

by Hugh

how do you get to the second screen?

I really want to know how to get to the second screen aswell. Having the same problem with the '?'

Please help.

Hugh will be eternally grateful.