iPhone 6 logic board, can I reflow solder in an oven?

I have an iPhone 6 that started boot looping. It will boot randomly, apple logo, then a second of grey fuzzy screen, then loop. Sometimes it just reboots. After a teardown, I am certain it is the logic board. Slight pressure on the board around the SIM dock resolved the issue. I get panic entries with bug 210, and reboot entries with bug 115. I strongly believe the board got bent. Kids get a hold of it a lot and I noticed and bend in the chassis. I tried to spot-heat with a heat gun after stripping the motherboard as bare as you can; it worked for 2 days then looped again. I would like to reflow the board at 385 degrees, but can't find any good information on anyone attempting to reflow with and oven on an iPhone 6 logic board. I am afraid to damage the plastic connectors or something else. Advice?

Most Helpful Answer

This'll void the crap out of any warranty that may possibly exist, in case you didn't know that.

For the oven, you'll have to gut the entire thing and remove the logic board. Remove all the plastic coverings that you can. For oven solder reflowing:

1. Make sure you never intend to use the oven for food again. The gases and substances released can be toxic.

2. Line the tray with foil, shiny side up (foil has a shiny side and a dull matte side). Create four tiny foil balls, and use them to hold the logic board off of the surface. Make sure that there aren't any board components touching the aluminum foil balls.

3. Bake for about 15 minutes at 385 degrees fahrenheit. If it didn't properly reflow, try at 400. Go no higher than 450.

Hope this helps.

Hi there:

Just wondering if it worked?

I would not recommend this under any circumstance. Applying heat without knowing what you are doing is a recipe for disaster. You could easily cause solder ball explosions or shorts on the underfill-secured IC's.

You better use a heat gun and only heat the spot where you think it needs a reflow. Tape the area around whit heat resisting tape to prevent damage to the other parts at your logic board.

Jason Mallet will be eternally grateful.