printer light is on but printer won't warm up

Hello My printer is a samsung c410w laser color printer the printer power button gets on but don't hear the normal printer warming up stage the printer can ony be turned off by pulling the power cord of the back shut it down again, cartridges are new and the drum unit seems ok and the fuser and the belt as well.

Can someone help

Seems to be a fairly common issue where these printers are becoming paperweights...It would be nice to get printing again! Has anyone found an actual solution to this problem?

I have the same printer and it turns on, but nothing beyond that and it can only be turned off by unplugging (as with the OP). There are a few things that might revive it like making sure the fuser temperature safety hasn't been thrown (do an Internet search on this; I did that but it didn't help me). Your printer like mine clearly has a circuit board failure. If you are willing and able to tear apart the printer and do the work yourself you can find (again through searches) replacements for the two main boards in the printer, and they would not be difficult to replace once you figure out the magic of taking the printer apart. However, you're probably looking at 100 to maybe 150 (or more) dollars for the two circuit boards and so you have to decide whether it makes sense to repair it. If you would have to have a repair shop do the work I'm certain you'd be wiser to take the printer to the electronics recycler and dispose of it. I am not delighted by that prospect but I may do that and be done with it.

This is just a general check list, applicable to a lot of laser printers.

1. Remove the power cord.

2. Open the front cover and remove and reinsert the cartridges.

3. Before you close the front cover, (not quite sure if this is applicable to your model or not) check to see if there is any kind of 'safety switch ', which would be operated by the cover being closed. If there is it may be that it has become dislodged or disconnected.

4. Ensure that the front cover is closed securely.

5. Reconnect the power cord and switch on the printer.

Please do not give advice if you have no clue about the printer model. I am not sure why your generic advise for fixing common printer issues was rated up. These printers are not even recognized when they are plugged into a usb port and all the buttons are unresponsive even though the power is on.

Hi @davidprobasco.

My advice is a common first step test. It is called a Power reset (or refresh) and in a lot of cases it is surprisingly effective.

This is done so that the equipment can reset by allowing the power to dissipate from the equipment and therefore to possibly restore any corrupted data settings back to their default values.

As I have no control whatsoever as to why my answer is rated up or who does so, (I cannot vote for my own answer, also the answer can only be rated up once only by the same person), one conclusion is that it must have helped some people to resolve their problem, at least enough for them to rate it as helpful.

I have the same problem. The lights come on but it does not get recognized by the computer and it doesn't go into the warm up cycle. The blue light around the power button is on and this is supposed to indicate that it is in Standby Mode. The blue light doesn't light up on a successful start up. The only way to shut it down is to pull the power cord. After pulling the cord I hold the power button down to dissipate all the residual power in the printer and then plug it back in and try powering it up again. I may have to do this 3 or 4 times before I finally hear a little click and then it goes into the warm up cycle. I wait a few minutes after hitting the power button to give it time to be recognized by the computer. Sometimes it will actually power up on the first attempt. Have tried a different power cord and a different USB cable and still have the same problem.

I've tried doing firmware updates and have run the Samsung Printer Diagnostics with no luck.

The printer is over a year old but I don't print very much. It has a print count of less than 400.

Just to comment I have exactly the same issue - blue ring around the power button as soon as it powers on, and after pulling the power cable out and letting the residual power discharge a few times I (eventually) get the little click noise and it all comes back to life.

I also have the same comment. I can't get the printer to do anything. My wife says she called Samsung and they were stumped. I'm sure we haven't printed more than 300 pages on this thing, working out at about £1/page.

A couple of thoughts:

1. The printer was bought in Germany.

2. I'm not sure if my wife purchased a samsung or a copy when replacing the black cartridge. Not sure if this makes a difference, but there we are. She thinks I'm being stupid for raising this.

Any solutions out there? I'm close to binning this piece of s**t.

The Power button does not appear to be damaged. I've tried plugging the printer in in another room (by itself, no computer) and still nothing. I've also left it unplugged overnight and even tried using a different power cord. It just will not power on. Note, the printer was working just fine yesterday afternoon. The only thing I did was turn it off in mid-operation.

Even if the power button were damaged (and I see no sign that it is), it should turn on by itself when I go to print. Instead, I get an error message simply saying "the printer is not ready." (at first, I was getting a message that "the printer is offline", but I was able to toggle that by going into the Printer Properties in Windows and changing its online status.)

The printer is only slightly over a year old, so it's no longer under warranty (naturally). Newer models are junk, so even though Canon has a "trade-in" program, I'd rather fix this one (which SHOULD be something simple).

I bought the "Canadian" version of this discontinued printer specifically for it's CD printing capabilities. Newer models... and ALL U.S. printers... disable this feature (by law?) According to Canon (after I asked), there is no fuse inside the unit that might have blown.

Hi @samtaylor 736,

The above question relates to a Samsung printer have you responded to the wrong question?

nothing is solved, still a mystery. my printer has a blue light but button is unresponsive to touch.

I have the same issue. I've tried installing new drivers from Samsung site and no change. It doesn't even recognize that it's connected, but the green light indicates that it's ready to print.

Same here. The blue and green light are on, but no display, no action, and the computer doesn't see it.

Same here. When it first did the no "warm up" stuff, checked every opening looking for a switch that may not be functioning. Unplugged, re-plugged, hit start many times. Then it worked. Had same problem next day, then while chatting with Samsung support it started working - printed over 30 fine pages. Next day - nada. A few days later, still no warm up.

Did notice one thing, there was some leakage of the yellow cartridge. Vacuumed the inside. still no joy. Have replaced all the cartridges - nothing.

Gary.web.ca@gmail.com

I have the same issue. This is not a driver issue. The USB connection is actually bad and the printer is unresponsive even when not plugged into usb. The computer doesn't recognize it as being plugged in.

Meanwhile the power is on but the buttons do nothing. I can't even do a simple test print out by holding the cancel button.

What was your advise from Samsung Gary?

Same here. Any solutions yet folks?

Still trying to make this non warming up printer work. But so far no luck.

Did find a site http://www.instructables.com/id/Samsung-... that reports a lot of success. Apparently if you can reset a counter with a resistor, your printer will work again. Reports are that it works on many Samsung printers including C410W.

I'm still looking, gary

I think (hope) that I may have found the solution. I always thought that a firmware update might fix the problem but I couldn’t ever find one on Samsung’s website. I finally found one after searching Google for awhile. It’s a firmware update for the C410W. I wasn’t sure if it was going to work but if it completely rendered my printer useless then at least I would be out of my misery of doing a dozen start attempts every time I wanted to use the printer and I would be forced to take it to the recycle place and be done with it.

Here’s the link to the firmware update.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/PRINTER...

It’s a zipped file so after downloading it you have to first extract it in order to use it. Just double clicking it doesn’t extract it. Just right click on the downloaded Zip file and choose “Extract all”. There is a pdf document that comes with it that has the instructions for how to do the update.

I did the update and my printer has started up on the first attempt for half a dozen times now.

I am running the latest version of 64 bit Windows 10, Version 1703, build 15063.296.

I can’t guarantee anything but it worked for me. I don’t know of any way to undo the firmware update if it doesn’t work for you but for me it was a chance I was willing to take.

Good luck

Also USB seems to be dead. What to do then?

Excuse me, I have the same problem, and I power on the printer and power off it again and again. It still doesn't warm up. and can't link to PC by usb to update firmware. How can I do ? Thank you very much.

All I can think of is to just keep trying to get the computer to see it via USB by shutting it down by unplugging it, plugging it back in and then pushing the power button until it finally starts up properly. Once (if) it does then the computer should see the USB hookup and you can try the firmware update as I described in my May 23 post.

Thank you very much for this reply. I will try again. Actually I have tried almost hundred times power on and off, but it still didn't start properly. I'm really going to give up...

I had the same issue - after turning on, the printer doesn't warm up - just shows status OK and none of the buttons doesn't anything. 2 day's couldn't figure what's wrong with it!

but, today decided to plug in LAN cable (previously i was using only WiFi) an unplugging/pluging-in powe cable, i heard a click and printer came to life!

Don't know what it was, but now it's working... hope it helps!

Normand T will be eternally grateful.