Repair manuals and support for cars and trucks manufactured by Chevrolet.

car stopped while driving. Its not sluggish. no engine knock.

I am a truck mechanic and checked everything I can think of. Any ideas.

Has good fuel pressure. No spark.

Is this a '57 Chevy?

If the car is newer than a 1996 check for an OBDII code this could be most enlightening as far as no spark goes however if its older then you need to use a test light and work backward till you find power

@jimfixer - you got over my head one his one. But I sure know how to on that '57 Chevy ;-)

@mayer did you have one ? I was never so lucky mine was not as desirable , I had a 52 that I lost to a fire. :-(

No, one one of my high school friend did and I worked on it with him. My baby was '59 Plymouth. But I did tie the National Championship Drag Racing time once. But blew to many transmissions.

Most Helpful Answer

Since you work with magnetos you may not be familiar with distributor caps and rotors. I'd pull the cap and check to see if the rotor broke. See if you are getting power to the coil.

The ignition system is basically simple to diagnose.

A distributorless system uses coils to one, two, four or six plugs and a sensor on the crankshaft for timing. With a distributor, a rotor spins from a gear on the camshaft to send voltage, from a single coil, thru a contact and wire to each plug.

The wire to a coil can also be suspect.

Start at the spark plug and work toward the coil. Cracked rubber boots, wire casings, corroded contacts, bad sensors/pickups, and any place where water could enter the system are things to look for. Many things can cause a gasoline engine to stop running and not restart.

dianakeller53 will be eternally grateful.