The Nissan Altima is a mid-size automobile manufactured by Nissan, and is arguably a continuation of the Nissan Bluebird line, which began in 1957.

02 Nissan altima won't start

I had my valve cover gasket fail and it leaked oil into my spark plug well. So I replaced the valve cover and that spark plug boot that was full of oil, installed new spark plugs and now the car won't start. Just turns over... Could the oil in that spark plug well have killed my coil pack? And would that keep my car from starting?

I Also Have A Problem With My Nissian Altima 2006 I Put A New Alternator On And Tried To Fire It Up Its Turning Over Completely Fine Seem Not To Get Fire Or Gas. I Can Hear The Fuel Pump When I TurnThe Key So What Could Be The Problem. ?

Joe Fields how much oil did you let drain into the cylinder . when you replaced the coil pack did you remember to plug the pack back in . If you did happen to flood the cylinder with oil removing the plug and cranking the engine will displace the oil . while you have the plugs out check that you have spark on all the plugs . you may also want to confirm you got the plug wires in the right order . also check that the boots are seated properly on the plugs, fully engaged.

Hello Jimfixer I didn't replace the coil pack. Just the rubber boot that connects onto the coil pack and the valve cover and spark plugs. To get the oil out of the cylinder do I just remove the 1 spark plug or pull them all? Thanks again Jimfixer.

-Joe-

And I'm not sure how much oil got down into the cylinder to be honest Jim

if there's oil in all the cylinders remove them all if its in one remove one .is your car throwing any codes? a p0300-p0308 code will let you know which coilpack is faulty . just wondering how it was possible to replace the boot on the coilpack they're usually one piece.

Check for spark on all cylinders and make sure you have the coils back on the proper cylinders. If you mixed them up then the car wont run

Hey I have a question. My car isn't firing on one coil I've replaced the coil pack and the spark plug and its still the same does it have anything to do with the timing ? Mr jimfixer

Most certainly will stop the car starting, if you have a spark tester or and timing light you can check the spark, also listen realy carefully when you turn the car on you should hear the wine of the fuel pump for a second or two when the key is put in the on position.

If you dont mind risking a nasty shock you could pull the lead out and hold it near up to the tappet cover to see if you can hear the crack of a spark while the engine is turning over. (MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE FUEL ON THE TAPPET COVER OR IT WILL START A FIRE)

For a car to start it needs 3 things, Fuel, Spark, and Rotation.

You have rotation from the starter.

You need to confirm the fuel and the spark.

Konastar thanks for the reply my friend. So if I have just 1 bad coil pack that will keep the car from starting? All I did was replace the valve cover and gasket, 4 new spark plugs and 1 "coil pack boot". And now when I looked through where the spark plug threads in with a flashlight I can see fluid down in the cylinder... what the !&&* do I do now??? Thanks for any advice in advance folks!!!

Sounds like a job for a Mechanic im afraid, most cars from 2002 have whats called waste spark ignition this means you only have 2 coil packs to 2 cylinders and 1 of the sparks is wasted on the exhaust stroke as 2 cylinders fire at the same time.

So if 1 coil pack is out you will have 2 cylinders unable to fire.

Also fluid in the cylinders i wouldn't try to start this car anymore if i where you, sounds like a crack in the cylinder letting oil or coolant into the cylinder and trying to start the car now will probably cause hydraulic lock up and destroy the engine.

Im sorry but sounds as though the only person who can help now is a mechanic to come and have a look.

Guys I need help. Most of the mechanics i know are clueless. I have a 06 altima. Codes read were 02 sensor cps sensor or cam position sensor (oreileys wasnt very specific) and misfire in cyl.2 spark plugs cyl.2 coil pack cps sensor and crank shaft position sensor have all been replaced. Fuel pump is kicking in its turning over but not getting enough fuel to fire. Any ideas??

OK Joe,

So you replaced the valve cover gasket and coil pack boot, but what about the coil. You must have coil on plugs, so you'll have to check each coil. You can get a tester that reaches down into the plug from the outside of the plug well and lights up with each spark pulse.

Take all the plugs out and crank to blow out the oil. Clean all the plugs with electrical cleaner or brake cleaner and reinstall. Make sure the coils snap down on each plug and reconnect all wiring.

Turn the key to on for a few seconds and check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail. The port looks like a tire valve. Push in, but have a rag over it to catch the fuel spray.

It should start now.

If not, double check all your connectors and fuses. There is probably something simple, since it ran before changing the valve cover.

Good luck.

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the response. I did everything you suggested and tried firing it up and it just turns over and over but won't start. I checked that Schrader valve and I'm not getting any fuel there. What are the odds that my fuel pump has failed while sitting in my driveway since parking it a week ago? That just seems unlikely. .. any suggestions brother?

Fuel pump is working. I'm not getting spark from 1 coil pack. The coil pack that was on the cylinder that had the sparkplug well fill with oil is the one that isn't getting spark so I know it needs to be changed. But with 1 coil pack that's bad shouldn't the car start and just run rough (on 3 out of 4 cylinders)?? Thanks in advance!!

-Joe-

Joe,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

So the fuel pump is working, but it still won't run. Is the fuel getting to the rail? That Schrader valve should have pressure. Try a fuel pressure gauge on the valve. It should come up to 34 psi. If the fuel pressure will come up and hold, you're back to spark.

Check for voltage at each COP. You should get 12 volts on one of the wires.

Check all the plugs for correct gap. Clean and dry with correct gap makes for the best spark.

Check back in here with your results. I'll get back to you sooner. Good luck.

I'm at work turned car off went to turn back on no crank no start lights come on low whirring sound 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 help!!!!

Check your battery terminals. Sounds like there may not be a good connection. Sometimes lights and everything will work but the connection is too weak for starting. A "no crank" situation is usually an issue with the starter circuit. Battery, battery connection, wires, starter relay, or starter. Check all carefully.

Joe Fields will be eternally grateful.