Model A1419 / Late 2013 / 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Core i5 or 3.5 GHz Core i7 Processor

Late 2013 27" iMac display replacement / upgrade

I have a late 2013 A1419 27" iMac and while servicing it the technician damaged the flexible cable that feeds into the display itself. I was looking around for a replacement and for some reason the 5k displays are quite a bit cheaper than the correct (LM270WQ1 SD F2, 661-7885) display. The correct panel seems to cost $500USD to $1000USD, while the 5k (LM270QQ1-SDA2) panel seems to only cost $350-$700USD.

From looking at the pictures the connectors appear compatible but I also know that there was an upgrade in graphics hardware to drive the 5k displays. I would really like to make the best of this situation and upgrade the display.

Is there any chance if I buy the 5k display that it will work on my iMac?

If not, can I change to the LM270QW1(SD)(F1) instead of the (F2)?

They seem to be far more common and if there is any actual difference. I know when the letter changes (i.e. C1) that makes the screens incompatible as they look completely different and have different connectors, but F1 and F2 LOOK the same. The F1 is for the late 2012 models while F2 is for late 2013.

Im pretty satisfied with my iMac 27" late 2013, still. But it would be very nice to put in a retina screen into the machine. Did you have any success yet?

Unfortunately I didn't have the money to gamble here. It's really frustrating because the F1 display was vastly cheaper than the F2, as was the 5K panel. I ended up spending over $700 on the "correct" F2 panel just to be certain that was I would receive would work rather than risk spending $300 then another $700 on top of it.

On the up side I'm typing this reply on the repaired iMac right now. With an SSD upgrade and a new panel it is stupid fast and should be good to go for the next few years!

Sorry, very different displays

So, the connectors are not the same? Certainly it is understood the displays are different but is it possible to a retina in an iMac that originally DID NOT have a retina display?

No you can't put a retina screen into a non-retina iMac. Sorry its not a plug-in play arrangement.

Gas & diesel are both fuels for cars and trucks, and are fully interchangeable right?? A gas car can take diesel and a diesel truck can take gas, Nope!!

This is the same issue here you can't assume the interface, connections, driver or even the BIOS (EFI) services within the system can support something different than what it was designed to support.

Chris Rowat will be eternally grateful.