HELP my Screen lock has changed and wont accept my pin

I have a samsung S5 that has not been used for 18 months.

I had a screen lock pin on it that was made up of letters and numbers. I was able to access my photos and numbers in this phone using this pin.

Today I have gone to get a number from it and the screen has changed to a telephone key pad look with numbers and letters attached from key 2 to key 9.

Everytime i try and do a letter, it gives me a number instead, and there does not seem to be a way to change it back from letters to numbers. (2abc, 3def, 4ghi) I need letters first and then numbers.

I called Samsung and they said they couldn't help me over the phone and that i had to have it picked up by courier and sent to N.S.W as there was no dealer in Perth. I dont want to do it if they are only going to factory reset it as I would like to keep my information on the phone.

Can someone please help me. i know my password.

The phone is not active with a carrier, and I do not have a google account for it.

If I did a factory reset, can i do it without a sim and which is the best software to retrieve all of my texts and photos once i have gotten back into the phone?

If you do a factory reset, you will pretty much lose all data on the phone.

Have you tried like holding the number or letter for a few seconds to see if it switches around?

Yes you can do a factory reset without a sim card but you will lose all your photos and texts they will not be retrievable. did you have a sd card in the phone and did you store your stuff on that? remove the sd card before you reset the phone . Did you have a sim lock on the phone ? Did you remove the old sim card ? if so can you put it back in just to access the phone .

it looks like the phone asking for SIM card pin, not the unlock code...

Regards,

Kris

suizyc will be eternally grateful.