Why is this laptop overheating?

I've been attempting to repair an HP Pavilion dv7-4069wm for overheating to no avail. The fan spins and the vent below the fan remains cool, while the rest of the laptop is extremely warm.

Overall, I've tried the following: Tearing the whole thing apart, cleaning anything that I could find, and reseating CPU + GPU and thereby also reapplying thermal paste; updating the drivers to their most recent versions from the CPU/GPU vendor (AMD); and I have also ran compressed air through the different areas to make sure that there is proper ventilation.

Even after these tasks, the laptop still overheats and reaches temperatures of 90 degrees C and above within twenty minutes of booting up the machine and allowing it to idle. Any ideas of things to try next? I was thinking about attempting to order a higher power fan, but I couldn't find anything outside of the OEM part.

you should look closely at the motherboard for an blown capacitors or burnt spots . Also make sure the contact between the heat sink and the cpu is snug , if its not tight the heat wont dissipate . Finally how are you getting your temp readings have you tried a infrared thermometer . you temp sensor could be screwed and giving a false reading Something to think about .Hope this helps

Agreed and right on with the troubleshooting path to be taken.

Dylan McAllister will be eternally grateful.