Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

MacBook won't turn on

I attempted to replace the RAMs in my Macbook pro 13'' Mid 2012 model according to the instructions on iFixit, but my Macbook wouldn't turn on after that. There is no sound nor indication that anything is working at all. All I have done is to unplug the battery and the plug next to it, and I plugged them back in after. The green light indicator on the power adapter does not turn on either when I try to charge it up. I have tried using the old RAM again, but that didn't fix the problem either.

Does anyone know what is the issue here?

Thanks for the help in advance!

can you look at all of the ram pins make sure that they are straight

also when you plug the MagSafe in do you get a light on it?

What tools did you use to unplug the battery connector and cable next to it?

When you were doing this, was the laptop still plugged in the charger?

Most Helpful Answer

What kind of tools did you use inside the computer? You could've caused pry damage or a short from using a metal tool or your screwdriver slipped and nicked something off or shorted a component.

If you are up to it, you need to open it up again, determine board number 820-xxxx, and get the matching schematics which will be used to determine what could be damaged on the 3V42 line.

If you want to go that route and can get the schematics, will help you out from there but you'll then need adequate micro-soldering tools and skill to repair /replace whatever you find to be damaged.

If you're not up to it, I recommend taking it to a reputed repair shop that does Mac board repairs or sends them to a good subcontractor.

Alternatively you can look up my profile for a website that has a list of technicians that can perform this type of repair. Many on that website repair those. All accept mail-in if none is near you.

When a battery is Toast, the Macbook can still turn on typically. No Green Light suggests dead DC jack, dead Magsafe, or logic board damage.

Let's try an SMC Reset, and see if that helps.

Is there a White light in the bottom-right corner after you press the power button?

Reseat that battery too. :)

I have tried a SMC reset but it doesn't seem to be responding. The MagSafe light now turns on, but it is dimmed when it is on. Do you have any idea what that indicates?

Magsafe adapter may be to blame. Can you borrow/acquire another one to test with? If that doesn't work, see Rany's post below.

Teoyongai did you try unplugging the battery and then reseating again?? Or you did not disconnect it to begin with?

How about a white light on the front. Do you get a white light on the very front when you push the power button?

There is no white light at the bottom when I try to turn it on, and I did try unplugging the battery and reseating it, but that didn't work either. I'll try with another Magsafe adapter as soon as I can get my hands on one, but I'll probably end up bringing it into the apple store.

Maybe battery went out JUST right then...

teoyongai will be eternally grateful.