Released on October 23, 2012. Core i5 or Core i7 Processor. Apple Fusion Drive.

How to fix internal fan to usb?

Hello!

So I was following the hard drive replacement tutorial for the Mac Mini, and everything was going great. I had done it a couple of times before, and never had an issue.

But this time, when reconnecting the fan, the 4 prongs connected to the motherboard broke off!

Without running (and ruining) the mac, I thought of ways to fix this.

I tried to solder, but I couldn't get the blobs small enough, and I was just too shaky.

I am currently using a replacement internal fan (same fan, just another than the original) connected to a usb, with the red and black wires connected.

So my question is: is there a better way about fixing this?

I am not a fan (pun intended) of it running while the computer is asleep, but am not going to run it without a fan.

I was also wondering that in the USB cable there were two other data wires (white and green) and if these connected to the other two wires of the fan would it help? But every time I added these wires to the mix of the red and black the fan stopped working.

Instead of plugging it in to an externally powered USB hub, insert it into a port on the mini, it will shut down when you power down.

Sorry, this is what I already have done. Only issue I face (which I guess depends on how much of an issue as one sees it) is that the fan is constantly running due to the usb port receiving content power - even during sleep. And there is also no way to control the fan speed this way too.

You could splice a restate into the usb cable to control the fan.

Mark Battistella will be eternally grateful.