0

D Ez
1

Why MacBook Pro freezes on installation?

My mac book pro is a first generation 15''. It was from time to time freezing in the midst of loading, or processing something. I changed my HD, out up more memory, and no changes. With time the freezes were getting more frequent until it killed the HD. I got a new HD, and now when I try to boot from the install DVD. It freezes right after a select the language. Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger install CD do the same. I tried leaving it to see if unstuck, but stayed frozen for more then 7 hours. The mouse moves but that's it.

Is there hope? Here are the symptoms I observed in the past few months, and wonder if they are connected:

1. It freezes frequently when processing, video, or mere excel data.

2. When frozen, the HD stills rotates, the fan still works, I am able to move the mouse and then the colorful wheel starts spinning and stays like that until I force shut down.

3. A bunch of lines appears crossing the screen, specially when watching a movie.

4. It's usually really really hot when it freezes, but it has frozen also when temperature was ok.

I do like this machine but it gives me a lot of heartache. Is there hope? Anyone would have some light on that?

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited by: David Hodson ( )

1

mayer
MacHale Enterprises

In July 2008, NVIDIA publicly acknowledged a higher than normal failure rate for some of their graphics processors due to a packaging defect. At that same time, NVIDIA assured Apple that Mac computers with these graphics processors were not affected. However, after an Apple-led investigation, Apple has determined that some MacBook Pro computers with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor may be affected. If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within three years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty."

Here's where to contact Apple: http://www.apple.com/support/contact/pho...

Here's one of my previous questions on this issue: http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/17423...

You can also check with this link: http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/

Edited by: mayer ( )

0

cossa
1

even for ati radeon x1600 graphic card macbookpro?

This does not cover the Radeon, just the Nvidia.

mayer,

How do I know if mine is a radeon or nvidia? mine is a first generation macbook pro model a1150. are they all standard? i cant check it now because i cant get into it.

D Ez,

0

cossa
1

so i have almost the same problem on my mac 2.12ghz intel core duo,freezeng during the running programs like final cut or processing complex images,lines on screen or high cooler noise,its that normal?

Please start your own question. Go under the Apple in the upper left hand corner to "About this Mac" and see which video card you have.

mayer,

0

imachaosis
1

ive got a duo core, x1600 gpu and ive got the exact same symptoms as you, im looking for a cure right now.

Please start your own question. Go under the Apple in the upper left hand corner to "About this Mac" - more info - graphics/displays and see which video card you have.

mayer,

0

cheongi
23

Worth reading this thread (at least a few pages at the start and a few at the end). Heat has some role. I think it's a symptom of system software corruption but others think it's bad thermal paste.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...

0

ananuk
1

I have a macbook pro a1150 with a new hdd. I set the partition to guid then started install of snow retail ver. 10.6.3. got halfway through install and failed. restarted and now just kicks out the disk and sits there ? flashing. and help is great. ty