A line of external hard drives by Western Digital, styled after hardbound books. Available in various editions from Essential, to Premium to World Edition.

Why isn't my WD My Book external hard drive being recognized?

Unlike some other people with this problem, my hard drive isn't showing up on my PC (Windows 7) or my husband's Macbook Air, and although it has a flashing blue light when plugged in, it isn't making that spinning sound, which has me worried it might be a gonner. It's about 10 years old and has ALL my kids' photos stored on it. I just went to back up my PC and it isn't working. Feeling worried. I tried several of the solutions that involve checking for bad drivers and trying to see about renaming it or moving it to another place, but I just don't see it in there, so I don't know what to do. I can try to order another power cable, but if the light is flashing blue, is it even possible that's the problem?

Thanks for any help you can give!!!

Whitney

It could be the USB cable that is faulty. It has 4 wires, 2 for power- which is obviously working (assuming it hasn't got its' own separate power. If it has its' own power the other two wires are the ones of initial interest ). The other two wires are for 'data'. These are the two that are used by the PC to 'talk' to the drive. So try another USB cable between the PC and the drive first.

Ok, I'll see if I can find another usb cable like this one (it does have a separate cable for power) and see if that's the reason...thank you!! Any idea if it matters that it's not making that spinning sound like it's supposed to? That's what made me worried, but definitely worth a shot trying another usb cable too. Thanks again for your help!!

Hi Miss Whitney, I have the same problem. I just want to know if you resolved the problem buying another USB cable if so , I could do the same thing. pls let me know. thank you.

Whitney will be eternally grateful.