An external speaker by JBL. Released in fall 2014.

What is this loose part that broke off from the circuit board?

Its a cube, about 10mm tall, 14mm across and has the number 100 stamped on the top.

It was soldered to the board on the upper right side behind the right speaker.

post an image of your part with your question. Adding images to an existing question

It is, or rather was ;) , a 10uH inductor. Parts such as these are used in switch mode DC/DC converters, and switch mode audio amplifiers.

Its ferrite shell has cracked, which means that the component can no longer be used and must be replaced.

Thanks a ton!

I found a part that fits the description you gave and looks very similar to the part I have, but it is cylindrical instead of a cube.

Do you think that will be an issue?

Hard to tell. Inductors can be rather fussy components to replace.

Can you post a link to a description of the part you found?

Inductors of this type are suitable, but you'd need one with a bit higher current rating. This one's close:

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcsdrh73...

or maybe this one:

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcsdrh12...

Hi, mine is not cracked but it is just loose on one side. I put there some kind of hard foam to keep it placed on the motherboard - i am not a tech guy so my question is that it just needs to be connected back (not to be loose) ? can somebody post picture or a manual how to do that or should i take it service.

Right now it is working but i do not know untill when the foam will give enough pressure for the part to be on the mobo.

Thank you very much.

Best regards

Dusan

We removed the unit (inductor) and epoxied it off the board then soldered a coated wire from the circuit board connections to each of the units two connectors. In this way, we created a solid electrical connection and physical mounting.

It reminds neodymium magnet

Score -2

tigraham1988 will be eternally grateful.