The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

restoring HD input/output error

I am trying to install a new HD in my macbook. I am using disk utility mac program. I am restoring from the old HD to the new HD using a firewire HD enclosure. I have followed the instructions but I get a input/output error after it gets about half done with the process. can anyone help?

Sounds like your old HD is damaged

Use DFA to rebuild your old HD. Install the OS on the new HD, and use Migration Assistant to transfer your files (& applications).

If this answer was helpful please remember to mark it accepted.

Good Luck,

N

I agreed with MacHead about the drive data being damaged. Boot from your system installation disk by inserting the disk and holding down the "C" key. Next go to the second screen pull down menu, Utilities -> Disk Utility and repair the drive. Then boot from the old drive, download SuperDuper and clone the old drive onto the new one. Here's the download: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/S...

That failing, boot from the CD and install the system then try using Migration Assistant to move your data.

The macbook will not boot if the hard drive does not have a GUID partition.

ewyrick will be eternally grateful.