Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Replacement trackpad is laggy

Hi! I purchased my Mac from a fellow friend who needed money. And he gave it to me with a broken trackpad on the top left edge. Coming back to today, I purchased the replacement trackpad and I could and did replace the factory one. Thing is that when installed I proceed to test it, and it's somewhat like laggy from the half to the top of the trackpad itself. (Don't know if I explained myself properly). Plus I couldn't do a drag and drop action using two fingers. What could it be? Installed back the factory one and it works like a charm. Is it the trackpad thats not fully original or is it defective?

Thanks.

Is the battery swollen?

Most Helpful Answer

Try to swap the ribbon cable from your old trackpad to the the new one. If you have the same problem then the new trackpad is faulty. Ask for a replacement.

I tried to remove it but it is glued to the trackpad itself so I'm a bit afraid it might ruin.

you may try to heat the cable a little with a hair dryer. If you're afraid of damaging the cable then just contact the seller and ask for a functional trackpad.

Try going under the Apple in the upper left hand corner to System Preferences > Trackpad and reset the speed and see how it is currently set up.

I can’t answer your question, at this time. I want to ask you, because of what you said about the original trackpad working when you reinstalled it, did you happen to notice any swelling in the battery? I ask this because I am certain my battery is on its last leg and in another MBP I had, the battery was swollen and bulging. That was a 2006 MBP and the battery was removable by opening a plate on the underside. The RAMM was also under that plate and easily accessible. On this 2010 MBP, the trackpad works when the computer is cold but after awhile, after it gets warm, the trackpad stops working–is uncontrollable. Then, I use a bluetooth trackpad (MagicTrackpad) to control the curser/pointer. So, here I am, perplexed. The folks at the Genius Bar tested the MBP and the test was positive for a defective trackpad. So, I ask you, are you experiencing any battery swelling? As I look at the keyboard, I know that the battery is directly under the trackpad. Is that where yours is located, also?

Dennys Ortega will be eternally grateful.