Repair information on hard drives or hard disks. Hard drives are magnetic data storage devices. They are used in most desktop, laptop, and server due to their low cost and high data density.

dropped exturnal hard drive making clicking noise recovery?

I dropped my external off of my tower , it still installs drivers but it does not read , is there a way to recover the hard drive or the information ?

Sadly the click noise is the clue here: The drives mechanical part is damaged (head unit damaged).

If you must recover the data on the drive your only hope is to send the drive out to a recovery outfit that can repair the drive long enough to recovery your data. This is quite expensive!

There is nothing you can do to fix this as you need a ultra clean room and highly specialized tools. Here's a service outfit I've used and a vid which will give you an idea on what is needed: Secure Data Recovery

You could also use the device as a paperweight after taking it out of your current enclosure and re-purposing the enclosure with a new drive.

you can try to open the case of the external hdd

install it in your PC and try if it work or not

so if it is work you can buy 2.5" encloser and plug&play

If the data is critical then just send it out for recovery.

Otherwise, you can try to fix it yourself.

Start by acquiring the exact same make and model hard drive in good working condition.

You will then need to open the bad drive and determine what is broken. You can harvest parts from the new drive to repair the broken one.

You may need to swap the platters from the old drive to a new drive.

There is a lot of information on how to do this but below is an example of the sort of work you are looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZx-tU1_...

Marco Smit will be eternally grateful.