Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why is my hard drive registering as ASMT 2115 Media?

I recently upgraded my hard drive on my Macbook pro because the old one failed to a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB.

I was able to format and boot El Capitan onto the SSD via USB through a hard shell case for hard drives.

Whenever I connect the SSD inside the computer and turn it on I get a blinking folder with a question mark.

I purchased a new hard drive cable to see if that will maybe fix the solution. I am waiting for it to arrive tomorrow however I am able to use the computer because the computer can't access the SSD through the hard drive shell.

When I go to disk utility it shows the hard drive labeled as 'ASMT 2115 Media' and says its an external physical disk.

When I go to connect the new cable and put the SSD inside the computer will that even fix the blinking folder problem or did I format it the wrong way?

Thank you!

Check your adapter and see if it is a 'ASMT 2115'. Not to worry, check the format of the drive, if it is GUID, Mac OS X extended you are OK.

Thank you! I checked and unfortunately no. The adapter I have is called J5 create.

ASMT 2115 USB Device driver is a windows driver . There are many drivers having the same name, Put the drive into your machine and the name will go away. There are different types of J5 Create adapters but it looks like they are using ASMT driver http://www.j5create.com

Okay thank you!:)

Hold on here!

The external USB case/adapter is what you are seeing (ASMT 2115) which is correct!

The Samsung SSD drive when installed internally will correctly ID its self.

You still need to correctly setup the drive GUID and create the correct format partition.

Don't forget to replace your SATA cable if your original Apple HD was a SATA II (3.0 Gb/s) drive. Also don't forget to check your systems firmware make sure it's the latest.

You said "... I was able to format and boot El Capitan onto the SSD via usb through a hard shell case for hard drives...". Any drive connected through an external port on your Macbook Pro (I have two) should be considered an "external drive". I've replaced a hard drive before in my 2008 Macbook Pro but use the install from Time Machine Backup option to restore my new drive to the disk image of my old HDD.

When you install your new SSD into your MBP, you will likely need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X. The simpler procedure, assuming you have an up-to-date Time Machine Backup is to search for and follow Apple's direction to re-install you original OS X installation from Time Machine Backup, unless you really want to clean house on old apps and files.

I just got a refurbished Samsung 840 and it says the same thing, ASMT 2115. Worse yet, it's slower than the original. The 840 is not a good model. Slowly degraded, and crapped out right at 3 yrs. I had it in a Mac Mini server.

UPDATE: I figured out the ASMT 2115 issue, it's not the drive. It's the USB driver in my SATA to USB 3.1 adapter. This also likely explains the slower speeds, it's USB, not direct SATA to the Mobo. Even on Thunderbolt, there's a SATA to Thunderbolt translation that goes on, so external SSDs will always be somewhat slower than Internal SATA.

FYI, I have 1 pair of 850 Pro's in RAID 0 in my Mac Mini, and another pair in an external Thunderbolt RAID 0. Internally they get 950 Mb/s, externally they get 750 Mb/s.... Because is SATA to Thunderbolt (or USB), it will always be somewhat slower.

James A will be eternally grateful.