Repair guides and support for the laptop line of Acer's Aspire series for casual home and business use.

Why does it keep shutting off

When my Aspire 5520 tries to start, it brings up boot manager, when I choose windows 7 it runs for a few seconds and shuts down. Will not let me even use f8..

Rvc123

See if you can boot to a system disk--tap F12 as soon as you apply power and select your optical drive as the boot drive. If you are able to do that you have a corrupted boot sector for some reason or a bad hard drive. Which version of Win 7 are you using? Get back to us with more detail. Why a boot manager--is there another operating system on the disk and if so can you boot into it?

+ agreed Hard drive boot sectors on Windows is much more critical than on a Mac. Macs will skip bad blocks and drives that will not work for PCs can run fine on a Mac after zeroing out.

Hi I was wondering if this problem ever got fixed, and if so what the solution was. Seems I am having the exact same problem with Windows 7 64 bit :( Can't afford to have it serviced and it seems to me much more complicated to pick its brain through the process of elimination like XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rick will be eternally grateful.