Model A1238 / 80, 120, or 160 GB hard drive / black or silver metal front

Replaced hard drive with SSD, red X/Charging please wait, READ!

When plugged into AC, it gives me the red x. This means I just need to plug into iTunes and restore. When plugged into the USB ports on my PC, whether 2.0 or 3.0, it gives me the "charging, please wait" forever. How do I get it to go to the red X on USB, so I can get it to disk mode so I can restore with iTunes?

Sounds like an incompatible SSD. Have you verified that it works with your iPod model? Have you updated the iPod firmware to the latest version before swapping to an SSD?

If it is compatible go to: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203170 Your nearest Apple Store can probably fix the issue if the worst comes to worst or at least point you in the right direction if you bring it in.

Thanks for asking!

I'm using a ZIF to SD converter and SD card. The ipod had a dead HDD before so no. Apple store is 2 hrs away and this is customized also.

Did you format your mSATA storage card as FAT32? Do it on a PC. Larger devices will need a known-working partition tool, such as the AOMEI Partition Assistant utility recommended by some vendors.

What type of ZIF to SD converter are you using?

iRevive Mobile will be eternally grateful.