The Mac Pro First Generation is an Intel Xeon-based workstation computer manufactured by Apple Inc. The first generation model includes the machines from 2006 through 2008.

MacPro does not power on... and does not attempt to boot

This machine has not been used much. It was purchased in 2011, and has been idle for about a year.

1: no light appears at the front where I push the start / on button

2: no internal sounds are evident

3: I replaced the BR2032 with a CR2032 and no different outcome when I push on button

4: not much dust inside

5: I removed the graphics card and re-seated. Did the same with CLU shelf and disks.

6: a red light flashes, if I attempt to plug in while CPU shelf is out, so there is power to the mother board

--

It was working fine when I shut it down a year ago.

--

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

Are any of the internal diagnostic LEDs on?

Hi Mayer,

Excellent question... I finally found the Apple tech guide here:

URL = http://tim.id.au/laptops/apple/macpro/ma...

And the advise in the Diagnostic section asked the same question you have.

I will get to this tomorrow in Toronto time... and then re-port my findings.

--

The MacPro machine is an 8-core... I have been looking at the memory...

There are four sticks of 1 GB each on the right most memory bay slots 0-3

While there are three (3) sticks of 4GB in the left most bay in slots 4-6.

I have a sense that my son liberated one stick of 4 GB.

So I pulled the 1 GB stick from slot 3 in what I think is in accordance with the Guide,

But it made no difference.

--

I appreciate your response,

Max

When attempting to diagnose this machine, always take it back to the original configuration first, that includes any added PCI cards, Added RAM and added hard drives. Also knowing the exact machine is helpful.

Ok, so I did the diagnostic tests and the first failure observed was re: Page 35, wherein the Apple Guide asks me to 'momentarily jumper' the SYS_PWR pads on the motherboard.

I did this by itself and then while holding down the Diag button.

The expected results from Apple Guide was the fans should turn slowly... etc...

My results were nothing happened.

--

I also reset the RTC via the button next to the battery BR2032.

--

Lastly, when plugging the power cable in, both Red lights entitled OVTMP CPU A and B flash momentarily red, which seems to be good.

--

Curiously, Apple does not offer advise for the SYS_PWR diagnostic when it fails.

Any ideas or observations would be helpful,

Max

Would you go here and input your serial number so we know your exact machine: http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-loo...

Most Helpful Answer

Hi Steve,

I am glad you asked and that iFixit provides a facility to reply.

--

Machine:

Mac Pro - Mid-2010

Symptom:

If I let the machine sit unplugged for a week. It would then start, but would automatically shut down after several hours and never re-start... until say, another week had elapsed.

--

I am technical from a software perspective and I think I can fix anything... however, I failed personally and then took the time to find someone who would not just swap the logic/mother-board and call it fixed. Finding someone was not easy. I live in Canada, and this will sound harsh but all Apple certified places that I took the machine to were providing swap and replace services. I did not not want to do this for several reasons. They quoted the cost of a thousand for the logic board from Apple, then their labour.

I have two (2) identical machines. One was never used and the other is used regularly. The never used machine was the one that failed. Once, I decided I was going to fix it, I swapped all the components between the two machines and found that it was not the components. Then I took the logic board/ mother-board out and cleaned it with electro solvents, because sometimes the machine would work for say a day, then fail to start... for forever. I suspected that the problem was either capacitor or power. Cleaning did not resolve the problem.

I finally found a company that would do on-board repairs. They will charge $400 to replace the power chip.... and guarantee their work for three (3) months. I will get it back next week. I will post here to confirm that it is fixed.

--

Normally, I use high quality surge protectors but I am thinking that this machine may have been plugged directly into the house power system... we have electrical storms here, hence the power chip failure. I am guessing.

--

If you have questions, please ask.

Hi Max Entropy! Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. (I'll stick to replying to this thread, instead of starting new answers...)

I, too, have a second working machine, but I've yet to start the process of swapping components. My hunch is the same as yours — a surge has damaged the power system on the backplane board. The diagnostic button shows 5V on the backplane board, but jumping the SYS_PWR jumpers has no effect, which is all the detail that the Apple technician guide goes into.

So, I don't have any questions right now, but I would be very interested to hear how your new power chip works out.

Thanks again.

I will post results I guess next week. :-)

Hi again! Any luck with this? Hope your Mac Pro is back to life...

I'd treat it as a standard NPNV (no post no video) and strip it of all non-essential POST hardware, including all accessory cards and all RAM beyond the minimum POST requirement. After that, swap the RAM sticks and see if it will post with each different pair. Also try using non-standard RAM slots if the initial slots don't work (it could be a dead channel).

Worst case if it's a dual proc board is you pull one of the procs, and try the NPNV rotation with each processor individually. The goal is to rotate the minimum hardware spec until you can determine which part is failed.

Thanks for the suggestion...

I will do a bit of reading and try your suggestion.

The upload tool is a bit funky.

Still funky... The point with pics is that there is virtually no dust.

Darn... I there are bugs with this editor and iPads. The image does not show up in Comments but does appear in Posts... so this is now a post.

Did you have any luck with this? I have a Mac Pro 4,1 (single CPU) that is exhibiting the same symptoms. It was on 2 days ago, now no power on at all.

Steve check your email...and then iFixit... For my reply below

The two main failures on this model are first the video card, then the power supply. The power supply is sneaky as it will partially fail. It usually begins with unexplained reboots. This may only happen once or twice a week. However as time goes by the frequency of the reboots increases until you just can't stand it anymore as it's doing it 5-9 times a day. On the 6 machines I've worked on, all responded well when the supply got replaced.

Max Entropy will be eternally grateful.