The April 2014 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Air features refreshed dual-core i5 and i7 processors, plus slightly increased battery performance.

SOS: broke college student with broken laptop!

A metal lantern fell from my ceiling and landed on my laptop.

It was fortunately closed, so the top panel has a small dent but the screen looks shattered and broken (glass is not broken). I have an appointment with Apple but I'm assuming it will be super expensive to fix and not covered under my Limited Warrenty (only bought it 6 months ago).

Is there anyone that does this kind of repair other than Apple? I bought it from Best Buy but without Apple care or the Best Buy protection plan I think that will probably be just as expensive as Apple.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! What do I do??

Most Helpful Answer

Hi Mackenzie,

Sorry about your laptop. I believe any repair from Apple or 3rd party repair services will be costly with parts and labor. It really depends on your budget. Your Macbook Air 13" Early 2014 screen and case replacement can start from $330ish and up. Granted that everything else is working fine and it boots up normally (apart from the monitor), I would just recommend buying a LED or LCD monitor with proper adaptor & cable and plug the macbook air into it. I hope this helps. :)

revision by mayer

MacBook Air 13" Early 2014 Display Assembly Replacement

Here’s the part, you might be able to find a lessor grade on eBay

MacBook Air 13" (Mid 2013-2017) Display Assembly

MacBook Air 13" (Mid 2013-2017) Display Assembly Image

Product

$274.99

Ya I think its just the plastic casing that might be shattered or broke into few pieces. The main lcd panel should be fine and undamaged. I replaced mine on 2014 macbook pro getting parts of amazon and was able to fix it under $50. I checked with apple store and they were charging me $450 and taxes not worth it for 5-6 years old laptop. There are lot of videos on youtube where they teach to change the plastic cover which again i believe is broken for your mac air. You obviously need replacement lcd plastic cover/case and heat to remove that old broken plastic cover. Using heat gun or hair dryer would help you to lose that glue less sticky and easy to remove broken plastic cover. Its fairly easy since I have done it, but it definitely saved me well over $350.

I don't know what city or major you will be studying in. You can quickly find out the addresses of libraries, eventually use the library of your school.

But in my experience, I can tell you that you can't do without a computer. We have many teachers send tasks in electronic form, to the mailbox of the group. To download the task you can go to an Internet club, then to view and perform, you need a computer (otherwise you have to print out a lot). Then - print essays, term papers, and any other work in a convenient location for you. I hope I was able to help you somehow.

Mackenzie parry will be eternally grateful.