Hybrid laptop/tablet manufactured by Microsoft. Released October 2015. Model 1703.

I can't turn my surface book on

I used the surface book one evening and put it to sleep with the power adapter connected. The next morning I was unable to turn it back on again.

The detach button on the keyboard is constantly lit red and I can't detach the tablet from the keyboard.

I tried the one button and two button methods described by Microsoft to reset the device without success.

The device appears dead if it was not for the red detach light.

Is there another way to hard reset the device or to make it reboot?

Thanks for your help guys, I got it to work again. see my reply to

Willis

Most Helpful Answer

There are buttons on either side of the surface (4 holes up from the keyboard) that if you press in with a paper clip and it will release the keyboard.

Then just charge the tablet and you should be good to go.

I spent hours on Microsoft's customer service hotline and they wanted to replace the tablet. They definitely did a poor job of documenting this feature!

Make sure you check for firmware updates and dirver updates, these may prevent this happening in the future....

@Aaron. Thank you for that. Saved me a huge headache. It's six holes up by the way. I had no idea you could force detach the keyboard. I was not about to wait 8 days for the battery to die.

had the same issue

I undocket it the normal way

tried all options

what worked was power+volume + and hold it really really long

turns on, boots to uefi, select exit and reboot

fixed

My keyboard would flash and nothing else would happen. I thought my Laptop was dead.

Tried the above and It fixed it.

Whew. Thanks Solom.

The only way to hard reset the device is if its on, i will link you to a website on how to hard reset it.

http://www.hardreset.info/devices/micros...

Thanks but the screen is off as if the device is turned off.

Oh.

Maybe bring it in to a Microsoft store or your local gadget store and ask them about it.

Thanks Zach,

That's what I wanted to do, but....

I bought the surface book in the states and brought it back to the UK where it's not on sale until the 18th of February 2016 and hence not supported.

This is bad customer support not even taking into consideration the high price Microsoft charge for this device.

I'ts fixed now , see my reply to Willis.

I had this problem. I took my Surface Book back to Microsoft Store and they had to replace my Surface Book.

Thanks for your reply Willis,

I'm writing this comment on my surface book after I got it to work again.

I left the device for 8 days (not connected to the charger) until the batteries completely ran flat and the red light on the detach key switched itself off. I gave it another day to make sure that the batteries were fully discharged. I then connected the charger and pressed the power button to turn it on. It booted normally after installing a windows update.

This supports my theory that the problem was not hardware related, but most probably a bug in the sleep function or power management application.

I now do 2 things to prevent this from reoccurring :

1 After use, I always switch off and I stopped using the sleep option.

2 I store the device with the keyboard detached, to shorten the time for it to discharge completely in cast this happens again.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix this bug.

Now going to try this myself, off on holiday in 3 days so not good timing for a return to MS, hopefully Surfacebook will be flat when I return next week :(

Yes, same problem here. I just wanna know whether there is no reaction or not when any USB device plugged in your surface book

I had the exact same symptoms: tablet thinks its disconnected from keyboard while being stuck attached and the red light staying on all the time. No 'usual' rebooting, bios fixes helped.

In my case it got stuck when I attached the tablet to base while in sleep.

While it got stuck, it did not actually lock in properly, so after some panicky hours I noticed that clipboard would actually lift a bit under serious force. So after trying every single troubleshooting guide/post I could find, I just took a deep breath, closed my eyes and ripped it off!

I noticed there was a smudge on contacts and when I cleaned it off, it started working again.

But again, in my case it wasn't properly locked in so just removing it by force worked.

I'm having a similar problem. When I try to turn on the keyboard flashes once but then goes off. Then nothing. Tried all of the recommended processes but nothing works. Screen detaches ok and both the red & green lights work. Stumped and really frustrated as I'm due overseas soon.

I had the same issue (clipboard wouldn't recognize keyboard), and there was a constant red light on the eject button. Also, Battery one (keyboard base), was not detected. Though this is not documented by Microsoft, this is a total and complete hardware failure of the dock base (keyboard). Since they are paired by serial number (and various other identifiers), you can't just swap it out. You have to get the whole thing replaced. I had the Intel Core i7 1TBB SSD 16 GB RAM with Nvidia Graphics (total beast of a machine) for less than 2 weeks. I used it for work only, and treated it with the utmostcare. Microsoft says they have to swap out the whole machine due to a failure in the dock. There are way too many bugs/glitches in the Surface Book. Extremely disappointed and would like a new one NOW, but since they are backordered, I have to wait weeks, I couldn't conscionably recommend anyone to buy this machine until these hardware failures and software glitches are fixed. My two cents.

This is a complete hardware failure located in the base. Believe it or not, you can take the tablet/clipboard off with a little force st the right angle. It if it's red constantly, that won't help. It is totally done my friend.

For those having the same issue, NO! USB does not work at all. Again, hardware failure in base. At least with my issue, which will inevitably be your issue if you keep using this laptop hybrid.

Lastly, I have tried every alleged fix on the internet, nothing is working at a!

I had the same problem. I used a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fVGQPQ3... to see how to detach using a paper clip in the hole 6 holes up on the side of the clipboard. Took some tries to get it to detach one side (each side has its own release). In my case, the power on the clipboard wasn't all the way drained. So while it was detached on one side, I pushed the power button to turn it on. Once on, I slid it back onto the keyboard and it recognized it as attached and started charging and detaching/attaching normally again. I haven't had a problem for the last few days after doing this, and it saved me the hassle of getting it repaired.

I have the same exact issue.

I tried the manual detach using the two holes in the Clipboard and I managed to detach the Clipboard and then charge it.

Now, it is charged; however, this is not sufficient to restore the problem.

I connect the Keyboard again, the PC does not recognise the Keyboard, and the Red Light comes back on to be turned constantly.

Tried to clean the connectors, still didn't work.

Tried the BIOS, restart, still nothing solved.

Tried to recovery, and restore the PC, same, did not work.

I disconnected manually the Keyboard and connected it several times, and still doesn't work.

...

The USB in the keyboard does not charge another device...

Is the 8 days waiting the solution ? i.e. completely drain the second battery before connecting them and charge again... ?

Leo will be eternally grateful.