Released on June 23, 1996, Model NUS-001, 64-bit gaming console

My Nintendo 64 turns on, but there's no picture.

I have an old PAL Nintendo 64 that I wanted to play the other day. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work. The machine itself turns on and the red light lights up as usual, but I can't get any picture on the screen.

I've tried different cables including an old SNES cable (that worked some years ago) and a GameCube s-video cable.

I have a fairly new TV, but I'm certain I've configured it correctly. My SNES works just fine on it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Update:

It works! I've tried:

• Removing the Expansion Pack (original) and putting it back in.
  • To blow on the cartridge and on the machine (not recommended).
  • Different games.
  • Different AV cables (that work on my SNES).
  • Cleaning the connectors on a cartridge with both dry Q-tips and with isopropyl alcohol.

When I started the machine I didn't see or hear anything. The screen didn't even flicker. I retried the steps some time later and magically it worked. I've listed all the solutions I've tried, as I don't know which one solved my problem.

Thanks for all the help!

Kinda wished I hadnt of smashed mine now D:

I have a similar problem actually. I turn mine on and the screen either stays black or it gradually fades to a shade of green. (Similar to link's hat in ocarina of time which is ironic cause that's the first game I tried to play when I noticed this problem after getting my system out of storage. Do you think its humidity? East coast summers are humid but it was in one of those mass storage units.)

mine had the same problem as moppskaft but the expansion pack resolved my problem

I have a problem sorta like this but the picture won't appear when I have a gameshark and game in my system

What an Expansion pack?

No picture could mean the game is not loading up. In that case, it's best to clean the contacts of the game cartridge. I use isopropyl alcohol.

If it's not the game, make sure to clean the AV plug or buy a replacement cable. Note that the N64 does not support RGB SCART.

N64 units are pretty tough. I bought one from a stand drenched in rain water and still managed to get it working. Hopefully, you can get your system working. Good luck!

I have a game that has this problem where I can hear the sound but no picture. I've cleaned it but still nothing do you know what to do?

Most Helpful Answer

Sometimes that happens to me. Seems to be the game or connections with the console and cartridge. If I keep trying to get it to work (by reseating the game) it usually works. Notice I did not say "resetting" earlier. Try a different game, see if that one works.

Hey moppskaft, not sure if you are still working on your N64 but i dug up some info that could be worthwhile to check out. First of, there seem to be a lot of people with the same issues as you are having. It looks like you have already done all of the most common errors like faulty cables and dirty connections. So what i found is this video http://www.booads.com/videos-re-how-do-i... that shows how that person fixed his with an identical issue. Of course not sure if it will work for you but give it a try. Can't hurt :) there are also a few forums that discuss this problem as well they are at http://gametz.com/Welcome.html this site explains the hardware http://n64.icequake.net/ So I hope this helped you somewhat, if not get back with us on here and let us know so we can continue to get your legacy console going again:) Good luck

The same thing happened to me it's because of the new tv's, Put your expansion pack in the n64 then try it again.

The first two steps of this guide show what Matt is talking about. Tell us if it works!

Try reconnecting the wires to the console and TV/VCR and/or take out the game cartridge, blow in the bottom, and replace into console.

Sometimes alcohol is not enough to clean the cartridge or the slot.

For those who still have the problem with the black screen with the led on, you can try this :

Take the finest sand paper/glass paper you can find (I took a P600, but you can try with P800 and higher if you are scared with this method) and rub gently in a up and down pattern to remove the fine layer of rust on the game cartridge and/or the cartridge slot of the console. And remove the particles with a q-tip and alcohol.

It worked fine for me until now, with my Megadrive, Snes and Nintendo 64.

I hope this would help someone.

Cheers

This worked for me! Thank you!

Take out the expansion pack and the put ti back in.

thank you whoever you are. I have a sticker over the black box in the expansion pack so I couldn't remove it. I did push it down and it moved a tiny bit. good enough to restore sound and video. well done. Now I can sell a working unit. it did work last night actually and i was testing it before I sold it and it suddenly stopped working. well done

My issue was expansion pack.... I just jiggled it and worked...... should there be an eject button to remove it?

No.... N64 run on either 240p or 480i depending on the game, let me also add that most all the N64 games are 240p and won't play on most newer TVs and is only properly viewable on SDTV CRT's. 480i is full reselution SDTV signal and is viewable on any SDTV and HDTV. I ran into this problem when I was trying to circuit-bend my sega genisis which runs on 240p and had to stick a digital pass through between the TV and sega. Digital pass throughs (DPT) are fairly easy to obtain for low cost. Radioshack sells a DPT called a RF Modulator and I believe it goes for 35-50. That will fix your problem with the N64's resolution.

i would try using an older model t.v. to attempt to see if it works because i have the same problem with my N64 and i believe it should work but make sure it's not a digital t.v.Because i have tried those and they didn't work so try it and see if it works if it does i need to know before i take my old t.v. out of storage to try it.so let me know so i don't screw up.Have the best of luck with the probable solution.I would advise a 2003 model or older.

Is your pin clean??????? I own a video game store and specialize in nintendo.. use a worn out paper fingernail file.. in 2 years I have never had a customer bring a console back. It works in 10 seconds.. clean games with lysol toilet bowl cleaner without bleach . Use a q tip with a small amount then use 91% alcohol to clean the lysol residue.. I never have games come back. Never blow on games!!!! The game store ms

Never, never, never blow on games or inside your pin. When you blow on games it makes the copper pins inside the game tarnish. The tarnish is what keeps the games from working. The game store ms.

NEVER and I mean never ever blow on games. The reason games dont work is that the copper pins in the game tarnish due to humidity. When u blow on games it makes it worse. Ive heard all kind of secret cleaning methods. Now let me tell you the 2 that work every time. To clean a pin in consoles use a worn out paper fingernail file, it takes 10 seconds. If a system turns on this trick will work. Now for the 2nd cleaning trick is for cartridge games a qtip and lysol toilet bowl cleaner without bleach then a qtip and 91% alcohol. These 2 cleaning methods work and work all the time.. in 2 years I have never had a console or games brought back to my store not working.. michael the game store ms

Untrue. The moisture in your breath is not enough to corrode the pins. In 30 years, I have yet to see this happen and I work on vintage games for a living.

Awe boom! Thank you for the tip! Got er goin!

The worn out nail file trick worked for me! Thank you very much!

Hi all, bought my sister a 64 for Christmas. We had the same problem with the red light and nothing on screen. We played around with our tvc's aspect ratio, changing from 16:9 to 4:3 and the games starting working!!! If you have an option for "original" aspect ratio that should work too :)

Good luck!

Fixed!!!

I was having the same problem today. I got a 64 from Craigslist and it wasnt working. Tried 3 tvs (2 hdtv's & 1 analog) using the red/white/yellow cord. The red light was coming on the system but the tv screen was totally blank. But turns out all I had to do was rub Isopropyl Alcohol inside the game (007 Goldeneye) w a Qtip and put it back in and it worked! It worked on the analog and Vizio 32" hdtv. Looked better in HD. I got a good amountof black and green out of the game.

out of curiosity,were your red,white and yellow ports side by side or separated? my red and white are together,but no yellow.only yellow my tv has is half green/yellow.i get sound,no picture.

Just bought my first n64 console..... first ever Nintendo (excluding game boy and modern day wii) and same problem...... but in reading this I located expansion pack, jiggled it, and bingo picture appeared. Thanks for all comments above

http://www.instructables.com/id/Eeasily-...

BEST SOLUTION

Using isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip solved the problem for me. I simply soaked the q-tip and rubbed it against both sides of the pins on the cartridge. This game will work on all tvs as long as you have a video input with RCA plugs you are ready to go.

If none of the pin tip tricks work for you, try applying a gentle pressure to the AV connector up or down. VERY slight, then power on your N64. If this works, the problem is likely a bad connection in the cable or the N64. If you replace the N64 cable and the problem persists, you'll have to follow a guide available here to repair the connectors inside the N64.

We have a Nintendo 64 and had no picture on the TV when we turned it on.

Sony TV

Insert AC Adaptor into the Nintendo 64 (Retro-bit.Power Super Retro 64 AC Adaptor cost $39.95 (AUD)

Insert the AV Cable into the Nintendo 64 (Tomee AV Cable - Compatible with GC/ N64/SNES) $14.95 (AUD).

We put the N64 game into the console before we turned it on.

The Nintendo 64 red light came on.

On the TV select:

Video 2/Components (This is where is says the TV choices of TV, HDMI 1, HDMI 2 etc)

Put the Red AV cable into red hole

Yellow AV cable into green hole

White AV cable into blue hole

It worked - The games are playing on the screen.

Good luck

I've faced this issue with more than 1 console, these are remedies I've tested with success:

Cleaning all AC adapter and console pins with WD40 and paper (something hard but able to absorb moisture) - In most cases this is enough to get the console working again, but if you still have no image try this:

After cleaning the pins, insert a little roll of foil paper (very thin) in the AC Adapter Pins, starting with the one marked as 12V, this worked great fomr! Just be sure you left some foil outside the pin so you can remove it later, it helps the conductivity between the AC Adapter and the console because sometimes it gets loose

Hope it helps!

I had the same issue and cleaning the cartridge slot with a fine grit nail file worked for me.

Open up the spot on the top of your console that says "memory expansion." If it is empty that is your problem. In that spot should be a small black box. When taken out, it will say "jumper pak," and that is what gets video from the console to the TV. The jumper pak may be broken or not even there, in which case you will have to buy a replacement or an expansion pak.

My problem was the expansion pack. My old one was fried, so I replaced it with a jumper pack and it worked (just not with games like Ocarina of Time that needed the ram expansion).

turn it off then on.

None will be eternally grateful.