Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Powers on to grey screen, wont boot from usb

I'm working on a macbook pro 13" that powers on to grey screen and just stays there, won't boot from usb, or attempt hdd boot, i don't even get the icon that shows when it can't see a boot device.

Do you gave the i7 CPU? Are you sure it is the 13" and not the 15" (which is covered by recall).

Yes its definitely 13" and i think its an i5 processor, with the Intel HD chip which was known for defects

Go here and enter your serial number (located on the back in fine print), and let us know exactly what you have. Meanwhile, disconnect the hard drive cable from the logic board nd attempt to boot. Lets eliminate possible hard drive and HD cable issues before condemning the machine. If it is the logic board you can get it repaired from Apple for a Flat Rate Fee. In Texas this costs $357 with shipping and taxes. If later Apple gets a class action suit on the 13", Apple will be required to round your repair costs. I've see several of the 2011 13" machine that I feel should be part of this program: https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro...

With all respects, i'm trying to fix it myself, not send to apple, apple doesn't fix anything, they replace with refurbished, that end up in no better condition.

Well then do what I asked in the first part of the answer. I'm trying to help you identify the problem and giving you a lower cost solution if it is the logic board.

Its a 13" core i5 macbook pro with Intel HD graphics. I'm pretty certain its not the Intel chip. It won't boot from hdd or usb. I just get a grey screen, no logo and it never moves from there.

Michael Schneider will be eternally grateful.