The HP 842c was introduced in 2000 and is still a very common printer. These are popular due to the large ink cartridges relative to modern models and their reliability. If there has to be a downside, it's the ink cartridge prices and use of a tri-color Color cartridge. While this isn't a majpr issue for most 842c owners, it is something that has been established to make consumables more expensive then they need to be. This is something to consider when picking this printer. However, thanks to age this printer has a abundance of non HP ink options so you can get the cartridges for a good price if you have concerns about the high cost of OEM ink for this printer. This printer uses the HP 15/17 cartridge combination.

Printer cartridges stuck, wont move back to print location

Would love to ad a picture. When you install new printer cartridges they move to the right and then back to print mode when you close the lid. "They" are not moving back to print and "stuck" on the right hand side.

I love this printer and agree with the description you posted. I have extra ink cartridges so would love to fix the printer and keep using until my ink drys up!

Fixed via another post from another source:

Turn the printer off, open the lid and turn the printer on. As the carriage tried to move ( producing the grinding noise) unplug the power cord of the printer, now try to move the carriage by hand and if you can, move it all the way to the left and then back into the middle of the printer. power the printer on again and hopefully this will solve the problem.....

and it did!

OMG, this worked! Thank you, thank you

well, I tried that several times and the darn cartridges are still stuck solid on the right

Ready to scream!!!

Hello Val,

I've submit an answer to this problem, please have a look on it, may be it useful for you too.

I changed the ink but it won't print

Cheers,

I also tried this several times and it didn't work. My cartridges were stuck in place to the far right ofmy printer and I was able to fix this by turning the small white dial inside the printer located to the left of the cartridges. I twisted that a few times and was finally able to move the cartridges.

Val will be eternally grateful.